This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jumping
have been jumping so far using clipless pedals, nothing too big, quite a lot over on the bedgebury dirt track. Progressing well and am starting to look for bigger stuff (i often completely overshoot the smaller of the 2 tabletops), was wondering though should i also consider switching to flat pedals?

have got some good ones i can fit (easton cullys and 5.10 shoes) but they are still nothing like being clipped in as far as foot security goes. I just have it in my head that i can correct problems in the air much easier while clipped in.

will it be a case of 3 months from now wondering how i ever managed without flats?
Sounds like you are at a similar level to me. I wont jump in spd's though as its too lethal. I only use flats for that stuff and downhill singletrack playing. Spd's I keep for XC rides only. Put yours on but go play in some woods first to get used to them then find some rooty bits then start thinking about jumping. When ive not used them for a month or so its weird initially but then it comes back and they are far better for most fun stuff.
I would say any purposeful jumping should be done with flats for pure escape purposes!

For normal xc and anything less than 2ft then I prefer SPD pedals.
so i tried the flats on my local small jumps, maybe i have spent too long using clipless but i just wasnt feelin it. i seemed to direct most of my efforts into trying to keep my feet on the pedals, the technique was almost to squash the jump which meant i didnt get the height or distance i get when using my usual clipless pedals.

mmmmm tempted just to stick with what i know.
[quote author=]so i tried the flats on my local small jumps, maybe i have spent too long using clipless but i just wasnt feelin it. i seemed to direct most of my efforts into trying to keep my feet on the pedals, the technique was almost to squash the jump which meant i didnt get the height or distance i get when using my usual clipless pedals.

mmmmm tempted just to stick with what i know.[/quote]I'm in the same sort of situation as you, although it sounds like you are way better at jumping than me. I've only been back into biking for about 3 years now, and only rode flats for about 6 months so all my progression over the last 2 1/2 years has been clipped in. Have tried flats again a few times, most recent last Wed, and i just don't feel confident even trying to do any jumps as i'm always worried about my feet coming off the peddles, and even peddling over really rough terrain my feet kept bouncing off the peddles. Every time i have had a big crash, including going over the bars, i've come unclipped well before landing, so i just can't see the point any more. The only thing i like about flats is being able to quickly get the inside leg out for support on slippery corners, which actually saved me from coming off last week, so i am gong to try loosening off the tension to make unclipping and clipping in easier.  Would like to try some 5:10's one day though.
5.10 dont make too much difference. they are super tacky and as such your foot will not slip off the pedal, but when you are in the air they wont over come gravity, in other words they still need pressure to stick to the pedal.

i agree about the falling too, always come unclipped, as i did the other day. also agree about wanting to dab a foot, although this is very rare. the problem with loosening your pedal cleat is a risk of your foot coming out mid jump, had this happen on the final table top at bedgebury, my other shoe stayed clipped in so was still able to control the bike, but i have since tightened my cleats a few clicks.

the bottom line i guess is that the vast majority of downhill world cup races have been won with clipless pedals so they must generally be better. cant see that i am ever going to want to take my feet off the pedals whilst in the air so will stick with clipless. just need some new winter shoes now though.
I think you will find that the majority use flats these days actually. With more practise you will get used to them. My feet never bounce off the pedals even on extreme roots and in the slippery stuff I often have my inside foot out but then im a rubbish rider, more skilled ones can keep both feet up all the time but no one I know uses spd's unless they do generic xc
I spent a good 2 months using flats to learn to jump, It does teach you good technique ie scooping with your feet etc. But I jump So much better clipped in, my downhill buddys recon I look a lot more relaxed and more controled when I'm clipped in. so I'm sticking with sdp's
I had a masive crash at porc on sunday (Thank F**k for Body armour) in the process of the crash I uncliped, I had them set quite loose, you just set the tightness to what ever your doing Simpaulss lol.
Its all down to personal preference, i use to ride spds and jumped fine in them but they do give you a bad technique as you pull up with your feet something that i found out.

I now use flats but thats purely because i prefer they way i can move around on the bike, nothing to do with bailing as i took some pretty bad crashes in spds including breaking my shoulder and i always came unclipped or manged to unclip to save me from going down.

Just look at 4x riders and BMX racers, the majority of them use spds and they do some big big doubles.

Use what you prefer, its worth giving both ago.
I went and checked out a couple of the DJ spots and two skate/bmx Parks around Eastbourne last night. Got a bit damp but lots of fun. I was on my friends 14" single speed DJ bike which just felt awful to start with as it was so small but once I got used to it I had fun. So small you can move it around in the air and I managed at least 3, maybe even 4" of air time on one tiny double, awesome. I did try his bmx but quite frankly it was just stupid and asking for carnage, could have put it in my pocket it was so small!