This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion
Of the limited 'informative' topics we have here on specific bike problems, I have thought of one somebody could perhaps write up, someone who knows more than me.

The thread would be on brake adaptors. Ie, post mount, IS, 74 and that 50 something one I've seen mentioned on places like CRC (54?), 20mm, QR etc
And also, when upgrading brakes, something about how it's important to get the correctly specified mount, ie, front and back, as they are different sizes.

Oh and perhaps something about if your upsizing the disks, what adaptor to get, for example, I've just put a 180mm on the rear of my I-Drive, but the 180 adaptor from the front don't fit, I understand why now.
So I offer up a Hayes 203 one, it fits, but is 20mm so too wide, so I buy a shimano 203... Doesn't fit- Only half the disk would be in the caliper. So I try my other hayes one, which is 203mm and slim enough, and voila... Perfect.
All in all... 180 disk, 203 adaptor... Perhaps it'll save people making the same mistake I did
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Probably a good idea although the correct Shimano ones for your brakes should have been fine, still unsure why you feel the need for 203 front and 180 rear though, only people that DH in the alps need rear rotors that size, think of the extra weight! Smile
"Breezer" Wrote:Probably a good idea although the correct Shimano ones for your brakes should have been fine, still unsure why you feel the need for 203 front and 180 rear though, only people that DH in the alps need rear rotors that size, think of the extra weight! Smile

And I've wanted 203 up front for ages, mostly because with the hayes I got abit of annoyed of not being able to stop when I wanted too, which is a problem..
As for 180 rear.... Why not, better than 160.

A few grams makes no odds to me either, I already have a very heavy bike and I still clear every climb and go downhill just as good, not like you, weight weinie  Tongue
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Thats old Hayes though, new SLX should lock either wheel with 1 finger and 18*/160 f/r unless theres something wrong with them.
Its not better than 160, unless you are heavy or doing long runs in the alps.

You will get less modulation using a 180 on the rear as the wheel will lock up easier.
Agree with buzz ... all a bigger rotor will do is lock the rear wheel up quicker thus offering less grip under braking (i think!)
Don't bother me, I barely use the back brake, and when I do I'm normally intending to skid. Either way it needed upgrading, because somehow I managed to buckle the disk.

And I'm not getting any lighter... And neither is the bike