This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of Weekend Surrey Rides
A few of us are heading to the super trails of Surrey on a couple of days next weekend:

Saturday 17th Jan & also Monday 19th Jan

Meeting at the YHA car park RH5 6NW @ 9am

Keen to session the log drops on Rob Nav if conditions still good...

All welcome 8-)
I shall be able to make it on saturday Smile
Alpinerider26 Doesnt work when you dont ride an Alpine

R.I.P alpine 160
I should be good for one of them, will decide which nearer the time.
Saturday 17th sounds good for me, providing I can change over my chain ring in time. If I'm venturing into Surrey I'll need a 30t up front for 11 speed
antrix44 Wrote:Saturday 17th sounds good for me, providing I can change over my chain ring in time. If I'm venturing into Surrey I'll need a 30t up front for 11 speed
Nooo you won't need a 30 tooth, i get round Surrey and even Afan/CwmCarn fine with a 32 tooth. You'll be spinning out all the time with a 30.
I'd really like to see what the fuss is about over there. But. Some of it looks a bit too gnar for me. If I come along can I get a warning about any silly bits as we ride?
Treehugger Wrote:Nooo you won't need a 30 tooth, i get round Surrey and even Afan/CwmCarn fine with a 32 tooth. You'll be spinning out all the time with a 30.

I've only ridden Bedgebury and Swinley on the new bike and yes 32t has been fine at both (as they're both relatively flat!). I think anything steeper than the hill at the 'DH' zone at Swinley would require a 30t for me though, I did it a few times with 32t and having been to Surrey before I think the hills there would be too much for me with the bike as it is!
I've liking my 30T around Surrey in the winter months just for Heart Attack hill! The Sram 11s has the smaller last cog though which stops you spinning out.

It will only be that one hill you might struggle with. I usually find my skills run out first and I slip off, unclip and can't get started again.

Edit:

May make the Saturday jaunt!
BennyP Wrote:I've liking my 30T around Surrey in the winter months just for Heart Attack hill! The Sram 11s has the smaller last cog though which stops you spinning out.

It will only be that one hill you might struggle with. I usually find my skills run out first and I slip off, unclip and can't get started again.

Edit:

May make the Saturday jaunt!
Oh yeah forgot the smaller top gear :oops: Really wish the price of 11 speed stuff would come down a lot so i can justify it, there is no way in hell i am paying 150 quid for a cassette and 140 for rear mech!

I may be up for the Saturday too.
The skids are up for the Monday Big Grin built Mrs skids bike up with a 32/42, don't tell her though see if she rocks it ok Wink , she made it ok with a 34/40 before only told her after, I'm so evil :twisted: