This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build - Lapierre Hardtail
Ive come into a little money so have decided to break up my hardtail and build up a new smaller 19/20 inch hardtail to be used for some xc. It will be for the girlfriend mainly but it also needs to be something I can ride. Thus 19" is slighlty small for me and slightly big for her.

I already have...
SLX Chainset and BB
SLX F & R Mech
Chain
Carbon Bars
Stem

So I need...
Frame (maybe the Sintesi 707 from Merlin)
Forks (100mm to 120mm - air not coil)
Wheels
Brakes (Nigel - hopefully we can chat about the brakes soon)
Seatpost
Stem
Grips
Headset (if the old but barely used one doesnt fit)

I want the build to be cheap as possible but to still come in at around 26lb.

So....anybody got any suggestions for bargains? Or anybody got a a frame, forks or wheels for sale?
"smaller 19/20 inch", how tall are you???????? Get a frame with a decent length top tube and you dont need such a big frame. Im 6'3 and my Inbred is a 18", with a 400mm post I still have about 2cm before the max and the actual top tube is longer than my 19.5" Zesty although theoretical one is slightly less.
"Breezer" Wrote:"smaller 19/20 inch", how tall are you???????? Get a frame with a decent length top tube and you dont need such a big frame. Im 6'3 and my Inbred is a 18", with a 400mm post I still have about 2cm before the max and the actual top tube is longer than my 19.5" Zesty although theoretical one is slightly less.

Im the same height as you Breezer. My current Old Skool HT is 21" i think. I had presumed 18" would be too small, but from what you say maybe not...
"Blackers" Wrote:Im the same height as you Breezer. My current Old Skool HT is 21" i think. I had presumed 18" would be too small, but from what you say maybe not...
Ah but the Inbred has a much longer than normal top tube for it's size relative to most other frames. Have you thought about the Ti Inbred 456 frame? Think it's around £800 but you haven't said what your budget is so thought i would throw it into the mix.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Ah but the Inbred has a much longer than normal top tube for it's size relative to most other frames. Have you thought about the Ti Inbred 456 frame? Think it's around £800 but you haven't said what your budget is so thought i would throw it into the mix.

Looking to spend about 100 on the frame, so the ti 456, whilst stunning, is out of the question.

Ive been watching ebay and singletrack but havent seen much yet.

Has anybody had any experience of the Sintesi 707 (from Merlin)?
Its all in the figures....Inbred 456's can be had for less than £100 on ebay but they are heavy so you wont get near your target weight, mines 28lbs and fairly trick! You will just have to troll ebay and then get on the manufacturers websites to find the dimensions and you cant just go by seattube as some like Santa Cruzs have very short top tubes etc
They dont make TI456 anymore,
"Buzz" Wrote:They dont make TI456 anymore,
Seriously :o That was one of the best frames they ever made, how come they stopped making it?
Because the designer Brant who desgined On-ones has left and now has his own company called Ragley, jesus Andy tut tut not knowing that.
After all the faffing around with the frame things are now moving.

The frame is in the LBS having a headset fitted.

I spent yesterday dismantling my old hardtail. which was actually gopd fun. Its been a loyal trustworthy friend for about 7 years and has seen some decent action. The Drivetrain is SLX and relatively new though so will be great on the new build.

Based on the weights of the frame, forks and drivetrain I reckon I could get this things built up at around 25lbs.

Progress pics and questions will follow...