This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tires
Recently fittes some maxxis Ardent 2.25 to my orange 5. Managed to slash the sidewall today, not sure if it was just bad luck, although i do think the sidewalls are kinda thin.

not sure if i should just replace it or go for something more 'downhill' and hopefully stronger. (was riding at swinley so its not like the tires would have had a particularly rough time)

looking for something that rolls nice and fast so highrollers are out of the question!!

any thoughts? considering maxxis minion f (front and back) or maybe panaracer rampage.
[quote author=]Recently fittes some maxxis Ardent 2.25 to my orange 5. Managed to slash the sidewall today, not sure if it was just bad luck, although i do think the sidewalls are kinda thin.

not sure if i should just replace it or go for something more 'downhill' and hopefully stronger. (was riding at swinley so its not like the tires would have had a particularly rough time)

looking for something that rolls nice and fast so highrollers are out of the question!!

any thoughts? considering maxxis minion f (front and back) or maybe panaracer rampage.[/quote]I have the 2.4 Ardents and the sidewalls are quite thick, and considering it's a DH tire dosn't feel that much heavier than a single ply 2.35 HR. They are big though, but i like running low pressures of around 30psi so i find that an advantage. I think they are pretty fast rolling offraod but a bit draggy on tarmac, but then we aren't roadies are we Wink

Minions are definitely not fast rolling and weigh a ton, and from what i have read HR and Ardents are better anyway.

Don't have any personnal experience with the Rampage, but Buzz has been running some for a year or so now and loves them, but as you have probably read already he's not really in to tires and just sticks with whatever he's got Wink  Not knocking it Russ, that way is a hell of a lot cheaper!
I have a set of Ardents coming in the post as we speak....   really hoping you were just a bit unlucky there Sailor....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
maybe it was just a fault. the sidewall split perpendicular to the direction of travel, the split was approx 1cm. the tube held out inside though.

anyway placed an order for a pair of rampage tires and will see how they fare. the ardents are fast rolling and have a lot of volume which i like, hopefully the rampage will be similar in that respect.
[quote author=]maybe it was just a fault. the sidewall split perpendicular to the direction of travel, the split was approx 1cm. the tube held out inside though.

anyway placed an order for a pair of rampage tires and will see how they fare. the ardents are fast rolling and have a lot of volume which i like, hopefully the rampage will be similar in that respect.[/quote]

They were my other choice....   putting my Ardents on now so i can get 2 rides out of them before hitting the alps....   just to make sure
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Rampage tires just arrived. they look top quality.

ordered some panaracer super tubes to put in them, didnt realise they are 430g per innertube!

will see how i get on with them.
[quote author=]Rampage tires just arrived. they look top quality.

ordered some panaracer super tubes to put in them, didnt realise they are 430g per innertube!

will see how i get on with them.[/quote]

That makes your tubes almost as heavy as your rims!!!  :o
lo, my tubes are 95grams although I am now tubeless. The sealant I put in was around 116grams as yes, I weighed it because im that sad!
well for the extra weight you get a proper fit they are 2.1-2.5 instead of stretching out a 2.1 tube. Also they are supposed to be 200% more puncture resistant than standard, they should be they are thick enough!!

after i fited them the wheels felt proper heavy.

wonder how much my bike weighs now
mmmm well the combined extra weight of DH tubes and the rampage tires is 1.5lbs!!!! thats from my original setup of mountain kings and slime tubes.

still the bike is not too heavy at 30lbs and besides ive got another light weight bike for those lycra days.

i prefer the term 'planted' to heavy anyway. ;D