This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budget mountain bike options?
I'm helping a friend out with some bike shopping.  The budget is around £250 give or take a little so here is a challenge:  can anyone beat this for the money??!  18 inch (ish) frame required, intended use is roads, paths, bridleways with the option of a little singletrack.  He doesn't want a hybrid bike.
Has he considered getting something second hand? Some bargins to be had...
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Looks like a serious bargain to me. Second hand is the only other option, but i would go with the Carerra.
Second hand is an option but depends what comes up in teh right size and the right condition.  I've been keeping an eye out for him.  The Carrerra does seem a bargain tho
I shook my head in shame as I found out my father in law has been bought a £90 bike from Halfords for this birthday......

Some blood come out my mouth as I bit my lip so hard.......

:o
At Porc on Sunday I witnessed someone going down the main wooden start tower on one of those £100 Halfords Shockwave full sussers.........
"Breezer" Wrote:At Porc on Sunday I witnessed someone going down the main wooden start tower on one of those £100 Halfords Shockwave full sussers.........

everyone has to start somewhere, i never once considered whether the bike could manage what I expected of it, only my lack of guts and skill held me back - Go Raleigh Lizard!
Keep it foolish...
Yes fair point but going down a run straight into a big jump on a £100 FS bike is asking for A&E...
In fairness to my father-in-law- he currently has a racer and said he would simply like to right on more off-road toepaths or gravelly lanes etc - I dont think he'll be joining me at BBH etc soon!  Wink
Budget bikes have thier place although i agree its a shame people spend money on poor quality full sus bikes when the same priced hardtail would do so much better

Any thoughts on this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q220-2009-mountain-bike-ec017059">http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fel ... e-ec017059</a><!-- m -->