This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protection
Right - due to various dodgy spyware/malware on my system, I am now clean and infection free, and other various double entrendres.

OK, so I think its evident that my current NOD32 Antivirus doesnt cover malware, BHO's etc.  

Im currently looking into Eset's offerings who also do NOD32 - their antivirus kit is excellent and doesnt slow down the PC at all.

Just wondered what everyone else uses or suggests I could look it.

[No, Im not going Linux, Ununtu, Mac or Carrier Pidgeon]

[and no I wont stop looking at p0rn during work hours either]

(You get the kind of theme of the responses I expect right?)
Well you have two route to go down the free route or pay for it.

AVG anti virus and zone alarm firewall constantly do well in tests.

If you want to pay, and I see you use your computer quite a lot, you normally get a security suite, which is everything all in one. The following from play.com is pretty good.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/10536399/K...oduct.html

That is also a three user licence so thats a desktop and laptop (and in my case additional licence sold to my sister for a tenner).

If you try looking online for security reviews they are very subjective. Every review comes out with different software in different orders.

Kaspersky normally does pretty well though and for that price I would suggest it.
For a freebie Malware Bytes Anti Malware is a superb bit of software. Unfortuately its only reactive but Ive never had it fail to remove crap.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
this site has a good overview on what all the different types of security cover. mal-ware, spyware, firewall, spam filter and anti virus etc...

http://www.computer-security-review.org/

If you want to stick to free stuff try installing these twelve programmes and watch your computer turn into a 386 emulator!!
(large crt monitor and green screen optional)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350200,00.asp
in the c02 thread you are saying people dont listen then you go on about having norton AV only when ive kept harping on about firewalls argh although at least you are asking others on here I guess and everyone ignores me so no worries heh
As mentioned I currently use NOD32 Antivirus which Im pretty much sold on as it uses very little resources, updates several times a day and "just works" - their Home Security suite has AntiSpyware and Firewall..

Might give that a go, as my license on the NOD32 is due anyway:

https://secure.eset.co.uk/order/category...tegoryId=7
"Breezer" Wrote:in the c02 thread you are saying people dont listen then you go on about having norton AV only when ive kept harping on about firewalls argh although at least you are asking others on here I guess and everyone ignores me so no worries heh

I hate Norton with a passion......

I dont hate Eset NOD32 Anti-Virus.

I was under the impression it gave me protection against such nasties, but reads I should have their security suite  which is the next one up.
£39 ouch1! (Thats a tenth of a set of lights!!  Wink)
All security packages have good and bad points. ALL slow your computer down, theres no way round that other than running a linux image from a usb stick or something for surfing questionable sites. Im sure you can get norton or kapesky or whatever its called for under £39 and 3 license as well so suitable for your laptop etc. None are full proof.
On the other side of things what about some hardware (with software on obviously) like the Yoggie Gatekeeper ? Reviewed well when gadget show did a piece on it

Around £50 IIRC  Tis basically a Linux computer on a USB stick (with a mind blowing 520Mhz Proccesor !) that handles all your security and protection etc with its built in software and it doesnt use up resources !