This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chain wear
am going through chains every 6 to 8 weeks. doesnt seem to matter what make or model from £20 to £40+.

only thing i can think is that maybe it has something to do with using dry lube?

bikes are cleaned and lubed after every ride so it is certainly not due to lack of maintenance.

anyone else replacing chains this often or got any thoughts?
Cant say I do, how many miles do you do a week/month?

Do you replace the cassette at the same time as the chain?  They should always be changed together from my experience.

I only replace mine when drive is affected, Im not one to change it when the stretch gets to a certain point - if it aint broke dont fix it ay?  Wink
[quote author=]am going through chains every 6 to 8 weeks. doesnt seem to matter what make or model from £20 to £40+.

only thing i can think is that maybe it has something to do with using dry lube?

bikes are cleaned and lubed after every ride so it is certainly not due to lack of maintenance.

anyone else replacing chains this often or got any thoughts?[/quote]

Ive replaced my chain once since i started MTBing about 11 months ago now

6-8 weeks is stupidly fast, if you are riding in wet conditions (IE england Big Grin) then you should be using a wet lube ... no doubt your dry stuff is being washed out and away hence the wear
I use wet lube all year round - it just works.

Theres a lot to be said about being really picky with your chain - sometimes over caution can be just as bad.

If there are no discernable drive issues, I replace mine (and cassette) once a year, or sooner if ther are drive/skipping issues.

Many may say thats too long, but see my post about if it aint broke!

I do approx 100miles a month (but not this month!) - Ive drunk 100 pints instead.....  Wink
[quote author=]am going through chains every 6 to 8 weeks. doesnt seem to matter what make or model from £20 to £40+.

anyone else replacing chains this often or got any thoughts?[/quote]And i thought i was going threw chains and gears fairly quickly :o  Are you talking knackered according to a chain wear tool, or slipping every time you peddle out of the saddle knackered. Also do you buy several chains and rotate them every 500miles. Thi is what you are supposed to do but i can't usually bring myself to spend £50odd on chains in one go, so i usually have to replace the chain and cassette around every 6 months, although since March i have been eaking out the last dregs of life from a couple of old cassettes i couldn't bring myself to throw away after breaking several chains due to really bad chain suck.
just worn according to chain tool.

Figured replacing the chain before it wears too much will save on cassettes and rings etc but it would seem like its a false economy.

dry conditions and dry lube, havent rode in the rain for a little while now.

will try wet lube again and see if things improve.
Something seriously wrong there, I get well over a year out of mine but I never measure them, I wait till they just look worn then replace it, middle ring and cassette. Outer and granny normally fine as not used much or with much torque
Do you ride big ring front big ring back or vice versa or do you try and keep the chain as inline as possible.
I recon on about 3 chains a year to stop wear on the other drive components. Maybey 4 a year if you ride in the wet a lot.  The chain wear tools are made to show wear earlier rather than later so you probably dont have to replace it as soon as it says so.

I second the wet lube. I put it on a clean chain do a ride around the block and wipe off all the excess.

I have found dry lubes to dry out too quickly. Rock & roll seemed to dry out just on a couple of hours on my bike and that was in the dry.
"leadbasher" Wrote:Do you ride big ring front big ring back or vice versa or do you try and keep the chain as inline as possible.

hardly ever use the big ring, will fit a double when my current triple wears out, mainly use the middle ring and all sprockets on casette.

used wet lube today and i have to say the drive train is much quieter, it is also black and covered with s**t and has splattered everywhere.

I need an excuse to buy a saint double ring crankset so maybe i should just leave it and let it wear!