This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chain Cleaning and Lubing
I keep cleaning my chain with some sort of household cleaning spray and a toothbrush but it just doesnt seem to be effective. So, suggestions?

I was thinking of getting some citrus degreaser and just dropping the chain in a jar of the stuff. But then what? I recall somebody once mentioning relubing in another jar full of diesel?!?

The net seems to thrown back various different contradictory suggestions but im looking for a tried and tested (and thorough) technique.

What say ye?
Ive changed my viewpoint over time over what the right thing to do is...

I went through a phase of removing the chain and dunking in citrus degreaser overnight - in time, I found that the worse thing to do - as the chain was almost always stripped of its lube/protection which builds up with time - Linkage became stiffer as it seeps right in.

My routine now is using the same degreaser, but just with a toothbrush and rigoursly cleaning, rinsing throughly then re-lubing fairly heavily then wiping off excess.  This avoid deep penetration of the linkages and my chain is much better for it.

Eveyrone has a different method, from not doing anything (Ade!) to stripping everything off the bike for a degrease session...

Using a chain bath isnt a bad idea, just get a bit fiddly if using a cheap one.
i find the Jamjar and petrol method nice and cheap and very effictive. If you can't remove your chain invest in a decent chain cleaner...park etc. Had mine 5 years now and still going strong, don't ponce around with citrus degresers unleaded is just as good and cheaper.
"Longjon" Wrote:i find the Jamjar and petrol method nice and cheap and very effictive. If you can't remove your chain invest in a decent chain cleaner...park etc. Had mine 5 years now and still going strong, don't ponce around with citrus degresers unleaded is just as good and cheaper.

do you clean the chain before bunging it  in the petrol? or does the petrol do the cleaning?
I have a chain cleaner...   it takes about 15 seconds to get the chain really clean....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:I have a chain cleaner...   it takes about 15 seconds to get the chain really clean....

+1
Since snapping the chain at Fowlmead, I've started using my, previously lonely, chain cleaner.  I bung loads'a washing-up liquid and warm water in and loads'a grease and sheep-$hit comes out.  Good squirt of GT85 to push the water out.  Wipe to remove.  GOOD splodge of wet-lube.  Wipe to remove....  Job's a good'en.  Nice shiny chain and only 10 minutes spent. ;D
I've actually got quite strict about that little routine now.
I find my jockey wheels are always claggy - I tend to concentrate more on the gearing than the chain quite often.

Without venturing to OT : After using Muc-Off at the 24/12 - I shamefully have to say I like it.  Im so Anti-it its untrue due to its expensive nature and radical jesus like claims - but so far its the only cleaner not to make my bike all dull after a clean.
I just clean the chain and jockey wheels with GT85 or WD40 after cleaning the bike then re-lube. The only time i have had the chain off to de grease is when i didn't clean it for a week or so and all the links seized up, any other time i can't see the point and it has been perfect. I think things like Muck Off are a complete waste of money, all i ever use to clean the bike is a hose and brushes which takes about 10 min max, then dry it with a leather which stops it looking dull.
I use a rag / brush with parafin to clean and rulube with simple 3-1 oil which seems to do the trick, however I have used some of my (motorcycle) chain lube spray on in but this seems a bit overkill and it tends to pick up dust and turn it into crud around the jockey wheels
Probably most relevant subject. On recent wet rides ive started to get a rumbling in the granny ring and i can see the chain starting to catch somewhere with the mech pinging forward slightly, this then ends up with almighty chainsuck somewhere and the rear mech being forced up past the chainstay!

It all points to a stiff link as the wet lube gets washed off so ive just had the whole drivetrain in the kitchen sink and thoroughly degreased it! Couldnt find any remotely stiff links though. The granny ring looks fine, the only slight notches are there on another one only used in the dry for 1 month so must be ok, the chain has not stretched at all according to the verniers so who knows. Perhaps one was just slightly sticky and it loosened up when it was soaking in degreaser. All back together now and will evaluate on the next ride.

If it still has problems I think the only sensible solution is to replace the whole lot with a new XX setup  Big Grin