This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afan gets an uplift
From MBR : Sept 09 Issue:

The newly opened Bryn Bettws Lodge in Afan, South Wales, will operate a 17 seater uplift service from next year, beginning in March and run by Afan Valley MTB.  Paul Peet, from Afan Valley MTB, said the uplift will connect the three trail centres in the valley. "The Lodge is at altitiude, so you can get to the top of the Skyline and the Wall easily".

Ends.

Doesnt sound too bad I reckon, although the entire challenge of Skyline and Whites, is itself, the Whites Climb.  I expect the lifts would be for those wishing to tackle the Black Run and the final sections of Skyline without the tiresome climb - could be handy for certain fat b*stards at the end of a long weekend's cylcing!  Wink

Also, wheres the third centre then?? - unless he was refering to the Bettws Lodge in the 3 centres.
Thats a bit pointless considering there is nothing at afan that cant be ridden by a bike that can be ridden uphill.
Agreed. Considering the two centres are joined on the low level cycleway which is smooth tarmac there's very little need to get lifts between centres either.
It will be the dh boys visiting the black run on whites etc that would use it, it's an xc centre mainly so people are there to ride up aswell as down.

Nothing beats completing the whites climb with more fun on the way.
The black run has alot of peddaling sections and there is nothing that needs 8 inchs of travel, i personally think you could do the black run just as fast on a 5-6inch travel bike as you could on a dh bike.
I'd tackle it on a grifter with those nice redline tyres, just cos I'm double hard Big Grin

Sounds like a cool idea for some folk, though 17 seater could be well over-stretched at busy times, methinks.
It's a nod towards downhillers though, maybe they're aiming to add a full-on DH run in the future, if there's space/incline for it?
The black-run is "Black" for about 2mins near the end, Russ is right, theres a load of pedalling - theres boardwalk for quite a bit before it. But the DH'ers will want picking up at the bottom for the 3 min drive back to the top of it again though.

Ive done it on my old XTC hardtail.

I would personally be wanting to get an uplift to the top of the July Trail on Skyline to soak up the last 6km of downhill trails (if at all)

Im sure it will get used, but it might get adverse reaction from the hardcore XC community which visit Afan.
Seems to me its an option for those that don't want to pedal up that magnificent climb.  Not much interest to me but if it makes the runs more accessible i can't see its a bad thing, unless they get tooo busy...
I could personally see myself use it if time was short on say the last day of a break and you wanted a quick blast before heading home - load up, dropped off at the highlight of a trail, blast down and back to go.

Almost 1 month until we go too!  ;D
Cwmcarn has its uplift if you want proper DH

It would be great if once a month or something they did an uplift at Whites so that you could do the first climb but do it downhill! Think how awesome that would be. I would quite happily pay for the uplift and couple of marshalls to stop people riding up it.
"Breezer" Wrote:It would be great if once a month or something they did an uplift at Whites so that you could do the first climb but do it downhill! Think how awesome that would be. I would quite happily pay for the uplift and couple of marshalls to stop people riding up it.

Too many gates - but I like your thinking!

How much is Afan to buy? - we should club together, Ive got a fiver.