This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berms at Blean
Looks like someone has had a go at building some berms on the far side of the woods on the short 'downhill' bit off the black trail.

just a pity its not technically legal. It would be possible to build a really good loop around Blean, I would imagine mainly XC but would be easy to throw in a few jumps, logcrossings etc.

If done properly it would make Blean even more popular, just as long as nobody that has ever had anything to do with trail building at bedgebury was involved.

It still amazes me how poorly constructed the trails are, not to mention the 'north shore' which prety much nobody rides as everything lands to flat.
rode there today, it was dry loose and dangerous, and frustrating always holding back as you know if you hit the corners with any speed the bike will just wash out.

at least is wasnt a mud fest though.

moan over..........lets lobby for some proper trails at Blean!!!
[quote author=]Looks like someone has had a go at building some berms on the far side of the woods on the short 'downhill' bit off the black trail.

just a pity its not technically legal. It would be possible to build a really good loop around Blean, I would imagine mainly XC but would be easy to throw in a few jumps, logcrossings etc.

If done properly it would make Blean even more popular, just as long as nobody that has ever had anything to do with trail building at bedgebury was involved.

It still amazes me how poorly constructed the trails are, not to mention the 'north shore' which prety much nobody rides as everything lands to flat.
rode there today, it was dry loose and dangerous, and frustrating always holding back as you know if you hit the corners with any speed the bike will just wash out.

at least is wasnt a mud fest though.

moan over..........lets lobby for some proper trails at Blean!!![/quote]
If you do a thorugh Google on, IIRC, "mtb blean" you'll find minutes from a council meeting in c. 2006 about looking into MTB routes in Blean....  and that was the end of that...
Would it be worth bringing it up again with them, concidering there is a LOT of people on here as well as all the Kent-Trails guys who would benefit from it, and would also be willing to help maintain the trails? Anyone know how we would go about this?
Lol i just googled mtb blean looking for the bit you mentioned Ade and found some of our classic posts from before we all met and were looking for places to ride. Feel quite nostalgic now.
The way to go about it is to form a group........already done, although it would be worth getting KT and 'BogHogs' and whoever else onboard too.
The 'group' should then put some sort of proposal together with what we would like to achieve, how it would be done and the impact good and bad.
This should also include a proposal for the 'group' to take responsibility for building and maintaining the trails.

The fact that this was discussed in 2006 would I think make a new proposal more valid. Additionally it is pretty obvious that people are starting to build their own trails and surely it would make more sense to work with land managers and produce proper trails, I would suggest adopting IMBA standards. I assume both dirt jump sites are 'legal' so the land managers are obviously not completely against this sort of thing.

Unfortunately Blean is managed by practically everyone, RSPB, KCC, Woodland Trust, Natural England, Canterbury City Council and Swale Borough Council...I would suggest approaching the National Nature Reserve people in Blean first for an informal chat and get their views before doing anything else.
As Sailor mentioned, 'Blean' is owned by many parties, with many hostile to mtb: Kent wildlife Trust just to mention one, but also had a few words previously with D. Rogers from English Nature. Over the years, I have tried to talk to some of these people but with no success so far. If you are looking at contacting anyone, Debbie Bartlett is the project coordinator for 'The Blean'. Interestingly, looking at all the fencing that is appearing in Thornden woods, that does not look promissing.

Many of the singletracks going to the far side of the black loop have been created by Goeff and myself over the last 3 years, originally to avoid the very muddy and unmaintained footpaths! The trails with the berms have been created by the Christ Church College group.

Michael
It would seem there are more MTB users than ever, Blean, Clowes and Thornden represents a massive area with enough room for everyone, given the success of trail ventures around the UK perhaps now is the time to get together to produce something properly, that will be sustainable, rideable year round and cohabit with other users of Blean.
[quote="]It would seem there are more MTB users than ever, Blean, Clowes and Thornden represents a massive area with enough room for everyone, given the success of trail ventures around the UK perhaps now is the time to get together to produce something properly, that will be sustainable, rideable year round and cohabit with other users of Blean.[/quote"]

I think cycling as a whole is hugely more popular than it was 10 or even 5 years ago, and as more people start commuting on a bike so more and more people will start to dabble offroad.

I think (particulalrly in the south which is over-populated and under-provided for in MTB terms) there really is a need for more trails and better trails.
Considering there are that many organisations involved, can you honestly see something happening?...

Too many chiefs, each with their own unique agenda, not wanting to listen to anyone else.  Going to be incredibly difficult.

Something following the lines of the setup of Surrey Hills would work, take that model and apply it to Blean.
Off topic but dont start me on the people that look after ashdown forest who refuse to let bikes in there but allow horses