This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avid Elixir
After 6 months the Elixirs seem to need some attention. The back brake was juddering viciously earlier so I guessed the pads were contimanated. So I whipped out the pads and fitted some new Superstar pads. But now the pads rub on the disc. Ive tried unbolting the caliper, pulling and holding on the brake lever and then doing the bolts back up, but it still rubs.

I was hoping to put off bleeding the brakes for a while longer but is this now necessary?

As you can tell disc brakes are a bit beyond me.  
Its because the new pads are thicker. Remove the wheel and stick a flat screwdriver between the pads, gently move it so it presses against both and forces the pistons back in a bit then do the centralising caliper thing
"Breezer" Wrote:Its because the new pads are thicker. Remove the wheel and stick a flat screwdriver between the pads, gently move it so it presses against both and forces the pistons back in a bit then do the centralising caliper thing

That sounds easy. Cheers Breezer.
£20 via paypal please. Dont get the tip of the screwdriver on the edge of a pad as you risk breaking bits off, could always remove them and press direct against the piston if you want but it should be fine.
Ive got avids, my suggestion would be a blunter instrument or whipping out the new pads, putting old back in and prising apart.

Do elixirs have pad contact adjust dials likethe sevens?

Your problem is small, so don't panic.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Ive got avids, my suggestion would be a blunter instrument or whipping out the new pads, putting old back in and prising apart.

Do elixirs have pad contact adjust dials likethe sevens?

Your problem is small, so don't panic.

+1 to the above....  DON'T use your new pads!!!
Maybe try the 'elastic band holding the levers to the bars overnight" trick.  Apparently it makes bike-pixies sneak into your garage and fix the alignment of your brakes.... or summink.

(sounds crazy, but works)
Yeh any sharp object on new pads isn't advsed really as you risk gouging them and affecting
performance. A plastic tyre lever would be my choice of tool.

The elestic band trick is more for spongy or long braking feel, leaving the lever in overnight moves air/fluid about and does work, but your problem is pad contact related not lever feel.

Other option is to blast down the road and bed them in loads. That's assuming you can even turn the wheel of course.
Never damaged my pads doing it but each to their own. Back to 1 finger braking for me.
Did you not get a plastic wedge with yours Blackers? I have a spare one if you need it. Once I got my caliper aligned properly as advised (by loosening bolts etc) I whacked the wedge in and hey presto, no more rubbing.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Did you not get a plastic wedge with yours Blackers? I have a spare one if you need it. Once I got my caliper aligned properly as advised (by loosening bolts etc) I whacked the wedge in and hey presto, no more rubbing.

I did actually. And now i know what it is for!! cheers.