This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boardman MTB FS Pro '09
As mentioned before, separate review/discussion on this bike, my new off road steed. Thoughts and findings will be added as they come to me.

Light and well specc'd bike... actually it's similar weight/lighter than the Kraken ;D

My first FS bike so I've got lots to learn. I understand springs and dampers etc from motorsport but translating the feel of a bike bouncing up and down into changes is somewhat different to that of the 4-wheeled variety! It does baffle and annoy me that most bikes with air shocks are not supplies with a shock pump but that's life. I got a reasonable priced one via ebay and it seems to work.
Brakes were an issue for the fist couple of rides, the front was simply not working right. Finally degreasing the disc and cleaning both the disc and the pads (fine wet'n'dry) plus some reasonably heavy use got it working yesterday.

Saddle is comfy, brake levers and shifters have been moved about a lot and I don't like the grips, they are too thin. That matters not because I'm changing the bars for carbon with some chunkier lock-on grips Smile

Shifters and mechs all work perfectly as supplied and set-up by the store.

I added clear tape around the head tube to prevent cable rub and I put some on the downtube where my crudcatcher will be... also on the underside of the BB.

Chainstay protector added.

Front reflector and bell removed! I still have the g*y wheel reflectors in place, simply because I keep forgetting to remove them. I will leave the rear reflector in place because it's inevitable I'll be returning on the road at dusk sometime soon without a light, so it's best to keep it there.

Alloy platform pedals look decent enough but I prefer SPDs so they have been put in a box for now.

After a coupld of goes I'm happy that the rear shock is around the correct pressure and now I'm fine tuning the damping to try to get some synergy front/rear. The forks started out too hard and I've now backed them off a bit but could probably get away with more based on yesterday's run though Bedgebury (cable tie on the fork as a travel indicator).
Ritchey WCS Carbon bars now fitted, approx. 125g saved. Sweet. ;D
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Ritchey WCS Carbon bars now fitted, approx. 125g saved. Sweet. ;D

Tart.....  Tongue

But nice review, and I still don't get suspension setup either.
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Ritchey WCS Carbon bars now fitted, approx. 125g saved. Sweet. ;D

Careful, you will have women literally throwing themselves at you now!  Wink
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"ianpinder" Wrote:Tart.....  Tongue

But nice review, and I still don't get suspension setup either.

Tart, yes, I budgeted for them and got them cheaper than expected so using Breezer/Bmjbyo man maths I have 1/3rd of my 2009/10 lights budget in place also Big Grin
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Careful, you will have women literally throwing themselves at you now!  Wink

That really isn't a problem, provided they are attractive, for me to enjoy the view, as a married man I would not do anything more than perv. Big Grin
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Tart, yes, I budgeted for them and got them cheaper than expected so using Breezer/Bmjbyo man maths I have 1/3rd of my 2009/10 lights budget in place also Big Grin

Man maths =  ;D 8)
Im a strong believer in man maths - it works.

Using man maths - Ive just got my Hope Vision2 for FREE.

Received £110 for recent Lights and Camelbak sale and SAVED over £50 by buying second hand kit off STW and EBAY.

Therefore, the saving in the world of man maths by default means my saving paid for the remainder of the Vision light.

Real maths though says I need to find the £40 odd, but Man Maths says "go on son, look how much you saved, you are truly a legend, go buy it"
Man maths is allowing me to buy my new Nicolai, which, I can categorically not afford. But I bought one last year when I was a student s now that I am an engineer working full time it will be no problem......
"ianpinder" Wrote:Man maths is allowing me to buy my new Nicolai, which, I can categorically not afford. But I bought one last year when I was a student s now that I am an engineer working full time it will be no problem......

So you are using the "new money method"

Could afford it last year when poor student = Can easily afford it now in full time employment with regular income.

Loving your work - as it makes no sense, but using the Man Maths principle, makes perfect sense.

I should write a book on how to become a Man Maths millionaire.