This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo or rollers
I know this is a MTB forum etc & thats my passion at heart but for fitness I ride road during the week also - no doubt a few of you do also.

With the winter nights coming i want to get either a turbo trainer or a set of rollers.  I know both are sooooo boring but I'm keen to try & keep improving fitness levels through the autum/winter when the weather is really crap.   Does anyone have any experiance, suggestions on either?
No.... go and stand in the corner until you see sense and spend the money on lights....

Turbo... but tell no one
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Cycleops do good ones. you want to get a good one as cheeper one make so much noise it untrue.

Look on ebay before it gets to cold and all the prices go up  Wink
Turbo I found easier if you are going to be using it inside as its more compact but they tend to be bloody loud. Rollers require a little more nerve and at least to start with, something nearby to grab hold of! Personally I prefer rollers as I feel they are a little smoother and more realistic, but you cant alter the resistance so its horses for courses. Personal preference though. Some shops might let you have a try before you buy.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Ride outside, who gives a toss if it's cold/wet/dark?

I have been told that spinning classes are good... not trying them until I can do so for free.
I thought rollers would be more fun (not much more granted) but also perhaps not so much stress on the bike.  The issue like mentioned is the fact you cant increase resistance, if you shove the bike in a high gear is it any harder or is it stilll just like spinning but with no resistance?

As for the TT's was thinking about the cyclops pro jet <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/CycleOps_Pro_Series_Jet_Fluid_Pro_Trainer_with_DVD/5360039908/">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cycle ... 360039908/</a><!-- m -->
&quot;dgw15&quot; Wrote:I thought rollers would be more fun (not much more granted) but also perhaps not so much stress on the bike.  The issue like mentioned is the fact you cant increase resistance, if you shove the bike in a high gear is it any harder or is it stilll just like spinning but with no resistance?

As for the TT's was thinking about the cyclops pro jet <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/CycleOps_Pro_Series_Jet_Fluid_Pro_Trainer_with_DVD/5360039908/">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cycle ... 360039908/</a><!-- m -->

Fook me thats a bit fancy, spend the money on a light and a waterproof coat  Wink
&quot;MudMonkey&quot; Wrote:Ride outside, who gives a toss if it's cold/wet/dark?

I dont mind a bit of cold/wet/dark, particularly on MTB but not on road, also cant get out some evenings etc as missis is out & much as id like to cant leave kids alone Smile
Rollers definitely simulate cycling better than a turbo as you have to concentrate, I believe just whacking it in a high gear will give you a nice workout and it wont sh@g your rear tyre either. Just dont pull the brakes!!  ;D

Also if you want to be a total tart you could take the rollers to any races and warm up on them!  Tongue
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
&quot;treaclesponge&quot; Wrote:Also if you want to be a total tart you could take the rollers to any races and warm up on them!  Tongue

Love it - can you imagain what a t0sser id look at fowlmead on the rollers then too knackerd to get round the 1st lap. haha  I did see someone at the last fowlmead on a turbo in the car park before the race - difference was he was pretty good & finished up the front somewhere.

I do agree that getting out is the best but to stop me getting totally twitchy & grumpy when I cant get any exercise I need something to fall back on.