This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alive in the superunknown
Morning All

Hope all have had a groovy weekend  Smile

Feeling like a change from my local loops I decided to do a long distance run for a change of scenary.  Back in the spring I did Canterbury to Strood which I thought of doing again however decided after some thought to have a look at the Saxon Shore Way which runs from Gravesend to Hastings along the coast.  After some plotting of routes with the aid of bikehike I decided that I'd get on the train to Whitstable and head back home from there so thursday morning thats what I did.  

It was a lovely sunny day on thursday although a bit windy on the coast.  I set off from Whitstable station along the beach and was soon on my way along the dyke which makes up much of the journey.  The route is fairly flat grasstrack and footpath type fare for the most part with some great scenery to take in along the way.  I have to admit it wasnt all plain sailing and I did get lost a couple of times on the outskirts of Faversham and Sittingbourne but all in all it was a fantastic day riding and a great adventure  Smile

When I got back home 7 hours later after nearly 60 miles of riding I was knackered but had a great big grin on my face  ;D  

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19861">www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19861</a><!-- w -->

Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Thats a cracking effort! Well done, often thought about exploring some of the marshland near the river Medway for kitsurfing purposes, but never got round to it!
I really enjoy point to point rides like that, it's why i loved the South Downs Way ride so much, which you should really try if you enjoy just getting out on the bike and taking in the scenery. Another good one is the North Downs Way. Pittgoat and i got the train to Otford and rode back to Canterbury following the NDW in the spring, meeting up with Steve, Papa smurf and Becks on the way, which was a bloody good day out and is mostly off road too Smile
The marshes were great fun to ride along, you can get a good pace going along the dyke however there are a lot of gates along the way so can be a bit stop start at times.  You also get a nice feeling of being away from it all as you dont see many people out.  I did Canterbury to Strood in the spring along the NDW which was good fun.  I havent done the reverse for that one yet either or had a play on the SDW.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Good stuff... a real mountain bike day out...  
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />