This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Stubborn Grips
This may be old news to some of you but not to others, and as it is such a useful piece of advice I thought I would pass it on.

I purchased some new grips for my bike. After asking around the general opinion was to get them off using brute force and ignorance, assuming you want to use them again and not cut them.

After what must have been a good 20 minutes of pulling, tugging, twisting and swearing I had only moved one about 5mm.

So then the big secret. Pull off the end cap, this left a tiny hole, where the cap had been pushed in. Take one track pump with a football adaptor on the end, insert and pump as hard as you can. Warning, make sure no one is stood in front of the grip, because it comes off bloody quick. Repeat at the other end of the bars. You may have to tape the other end in to get the pressure to push it off.
I used boiling water in a bowl, and layed one side in - made the grip very maliable(?) to prise off almost instantly.
I managed to get mine off with brute force.

You're just not man enough  TongueBig Grin
Thin screwdriver and a can of WD40 for me, squirt it in, lean the bike over to let it run under the grip and twist until off. Easy!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"dawg08" Wrote:I managed to get mine off with brute force.

You're just not man enough  TongueBig Grin

+1 Big Grin
"redwinnie" Wrote:After what must have been a good 20 minutes of pulling, tugging, twisting and swearing...

Would be just 20 seconds for Steve Big Grin
thats why i use lock ons.
These were super sticky bontranger grips that came already on my road bike. Well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Anyway next time try the pump technique, very easy.
i did use the slip on type grip before but found that they would always "slip" when the going got tough the last thing i need is my hands slipping off.
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Thin screwdriver and a can of WD40 for me, squirt it in, lean the bike over to let it run under the grip and twist until off. Easy!

Thats what i used to do, then i discovered lock ons.