This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fork and Shock Maintenance
did a fork wiper and seal clean today. was quite surprised to find the left leg foam ring dry, rear shock was also almost dry, all nice and squishy now, worth a quick inspection if you havent checked yours for a while!
I got Downlands to replace mine a few weeks ago and he said mine were dry too and i had lots of stiction. Definitely doing it myself next time as it cost me £84 including seals and sponges :o
[quote="]did a fork wiper and seal clean today. was quite surprised to find the left leg foam ring dry, rear shock was also almost dry, all nice and squishy now, worth a quick inspection if you havent checked yours for a while![/quote"]

I haven't got a clue what any of that means. Is it something important to do?
[quote="]did a fork wiper and seal clean today. was quite surprised to find the left leg foam ring dry, rear shock was also almost dry, all nice and squishy now, worth a quick inspection if you havent checked yours for a while![/quote"]

Id like to try it myself one time, but how much would it cost if it went wrong  :o
Perhaps it might be in next months IMBmag. hint hint  Wink or we all get together for a sketchy bike maintenace class.
I did read somewhere, that it's a good idea to leave the bike upside down for a little while, occasionaly, to lubricate the wiper seals/sponges.
"impished" Wrote:I did read somewhere, that it's a good idea to leave the bike upside down for a little while, occasionaly, to lubricate the wiper seals/sponges.

I belive thats only on fox forks (put upside down for 30 mins) If i recall..
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:I belive thats only on fox forks (put upside down for 30 mins) If i recall..
I read it about rockshox, TBH.  when I serviced my Recons and Toras, the seals where dry and I looked into how to stop this, and that's when I read about inverting the fork to allow the upper-leg oil to dampen the wiper seals.