This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specialized BG Insoles
Ok so i bought a pair of body geometry insoles today, havent given them a proper test on the bike yet but they look promising so far.

I have always has problems with spd pedals and ran flats for a while, spd's usually cause pain in my feet and i feel like i am only pedaling with the outside of my foot, this has been cured somewhat by running shimano DX pedals.

specialized BG insoles aim to correct missalignment in the knee thus improving pedaling comfort and efficiency.

you can do a simple test to see if you might benefit from these insoles. Stand in front of a mirror so that you can see your hips down to your feet. You then need to rig a make shift plumb line in front of the mirror.

Now for the test, align yourself so that when looking in the mirror the plumb line passes through the front of your hip, through the middle of your knee and just outside of your big toe. Now squat down and observe if your knee appears to follow the plumb line or move in or out. You should check both legs as they can differ. If your knee moves in or out (most peoples move in) then you may benefit from the insoles.

my knees moved out, i then fitted the appropriate shims under the insole and tried the test again, this time my knee followed the plumb line....result!!!

So now everything is aligned properly and i should be super comfortable when pedaling...........I will post a follow up after I give them a full test tomorrow.
Any update on these. I bought a road bike a few weeks ago and  on the last ride I had a really sore foot with a burning sensation like pain. I was using my Shimano mountain bike shoes on spds which gives me no issues at all on my mountain bikes.
yea i thought they were pretty good, there was certainly a noticeable difference in my foot alignment which i could feel when on the bike. To be honest though I didnt use them for very long as i went back to flat pedals. They dont cost the earth so if you are having issues then they are worth a shot.
umm interesting, as I posted earlier my new spd's did make the outside of my foot ache. Moving the cleat forward about 3mm helped lots but I think it could be better so will follow your advice & find a mirror when I get home tonight. Following my thread & your reply I did google the insoles & found them for about £25 but also I read that you need to have your feet properly assessed but couldnt find out where, so didn't take it much further. Would it be correct to assume the red will correct the foot one way & the blue the other.. The places selling didnt really make it clear other than there are two options. Do the shims come with the insoles  Undecided
the insoles come in different colours depending on your instep, from flat feet to a high arch, this is why you really need to have them tested. All you do is stand on a board that gives an imprint of your foot and you can then see what colour insole you need.

The right colour gives your arch the correct support, next you have to sort your knee/foot alignment, this is done with the shims, the insoles come with a selection so you just follow the instructions and fit the correct ones, just remember each foot is different and so may need a different size shim.

I got mine from Wild Side in Tonbridge
[quote author=]the insoles come in different colours depending on your instep, from flat feet to a high arch, this is why you really need to have them tested. All you do is stand on a board that gives an imprint of your foot and you can then see what colour insole you need.

The right colour gives your arch the correct support, next you have to sort your knee/foot alignment, this is done with the shims, the insoles come with a selection so you just follow the instructions and fit the correct ones, just remember each foot is different and so may need a different size shim.

I got mine from Wild Side in Tonbridge[/quote]

thanks mate, I'll give them a call to check out prices