This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kind Of Converting Over
Without actually realising, i seem to be converting over from Road riding to MTB :o

I seem to be spending much more time on my Mountain Bike than i have been on my road bike over the last two weeks.

I have never felt 'safe' on my road bike i must admit, firstly the nutters on the road, secondly the tyres/wheels slipping on drain covers, then the clipless pedals connecting me to the bike and not being able to release very quickly, i also don't like dressing up Wink before i go out on a ride, i feel much more comfortable in tracky bottoms, baggies, shorts etc., and also like the ability of being able to jump on the bike and shoot down to the shops, shoot accross roads and up and down kurbs, accross fields etc., i also use the Mountain Bike to go out with my daughter, as i don't like her spending too much time on the roads, i also have flat pedals on the MTB and can therefore get off the bike quickly if she gets into any problems, i think you get the general idea....

Anyway, since i bought my road bike last November, my Mrs said to me that if i keep it up for 2 years she'll have no objections to me spending a half decent amount of money on a half decent road bike in 2 years time.  A very good motive to get me to loose some weight! Big Grin

We pay money into a Christmas Club over the year, so we'll just up that per month to compensate for the bigger expense, will have just over 2K next November.

I had my heart set on a Trek Madone, however i was thinking last night about the amount of time i'm spending on the MTB and thought what is the point of getting a better road bike?  So, i'm thinking of getting a full suspension MTB next year instead......that will also stop my arse hurting - hopefully!

My question, do you think i could continue the weight loss achievements as equally well on an MTB as i did on a Road Bike? 8)
Any bike will do it... as I have said elsewhere, I've dropped getting on for 2 stone in just over a year by riding, until recently, on all surfaces on my sh*tty old Kraken... it's not about the bike say so many.... it's actually true, but that hasn't stopped by buying a FS MTB on the baisis I need to rotect my injured back, and a carbon roadie, because I want to be FAST on the tarmac some day. Ride with others better than you and they will keep you motivated... not difficult for me as I have rubbish off road skills andmy streng is not there to keep up with "real" roadies either... so from now on I am concentracting my efforts on engine work!
Just have a look at some of the before & after shots, if you want assurance of MTB'ing being good for weightloss.
There's lots to be said for road riding, but, IMHO, mountain biking is much more interesting and alot less cliquey(sp?) then roading.

Get yourself to a friendly bike shop, nearer the time, and try as many as you can.
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Any bike will do it... as I have said elsewhere, I've dropped getting on for 2 stone in just over a year by riding, until recently, on all surfaces on my sh*tty old Kraken... it's not about the bike say so many.... it's actually true, but that hasn't stopped by buying a FS MTB on the baisis I need to rotect my injured back, and a carbon roadie, because I want to be FAST on the tarmac some day. Ride with others better than you and they will keep you motivated... not difficult for me as I have rubbish off road skills andmy streng is not there to keep up with "real" roadies either... so from now on I am concentracting my efforts on engine work!

Good work mate, bet you feel the difference, the first thing i benefited from was being able to bend over and tighten my shoe laces with ease! Smile

And no, i'm not kidding....
"impished" Wrote:Just have a look at some of the before & after shots, if you want assurance of MTB'ing being good for weightloss.
There's lots to be said for road riding, but, IMHO, mountain biking is much more interesting and alot less cliquey(sp?) then roading.

Get yourself to a friendly bike shop, nearer the time, and try as many as you can.

Hi mate, i'm going to go to the cycle show at Olympia/Earls Court next year, will be about that time when i've got the money.

Just wondering, i know its like how long is a piece of string, as one hardtail might be heavier than another, but is the 'average' full suspension bike that much heavier than the 'average' hardtail?
Ignoring sub 1k stuff and presuming aimed at the same area ie general xc as opposed to one being a race bike and one being a burly bike, probably looking at 2-3lb lighter for the HT give or take.

My HT for example weighs about a pound more than my 140mm full susser but then the HT frame is just as heavy and it has less pimp bits on it
"Breezer" Wrote:Ignoring sub 1k stuff and presuming aimed at the same area ie general xc as opposed to one being a race bike and one being a burly bike, probably looking at 2-3lb lighter for the HT give or take.

My HT for example weighs about a pound more than my 140mm full susser but then the HT frame is just as heavy and it has less pimp bits on it
#

So the weight difference is pretty much insignificant.....

I've never even sat on a full suspension, do they feel much different?

Don't want to sit on one until i have the money in my pocket waiting to handover...
Well a few pounds is noticeable on a bike despite it not sounding like much but if its heavier it just means you get fitter quicker pedalling it Smile  They will feel a bit alien at first due to the way the rear sags down and you dont get quite the same zip under acceleration but for me there is no way I would take a HT over a FS on a long ride and I have both. Now is the best time to buy if you can as the 2010 bikes are coming out so you can get some silly bargains on 2009 stuff, third off sort of thing, a few places do 0% which may be of interest but there are many things you need to decide first, budget, size requirements, how much travel etc, better to get something with a good frame and worse kit which you can upgrade as it wears out instead of a poor frame with nice kit on

Im sure someone with a full susser will let you try their bike on one of the rides, probably better on a day light weekend ride so you can see whats going on and find one with the same type of pedals to clip into (unless you run flats)
"Breezer" Wrote:Well a few pounds is noticeable on a bike despite it not sounding like much but if its heavier it just means you get fitter quicker pedalling it Smile  They will feel a bit alien at first due to the way the rear sags down and you dont get quite the same zip under acceleration but for me there is no way I would take a HT over a FS on a long ride and I have both. Now is the best time to buy if you can as the 2010 bikes are coming out so you can get some silly bargains on 2009 stuff, third off sort of thing, a few places do 0% which may be of interest but there are many things you need to decide first, budget, size requirements, how much travel etc, better to get something with a good frame and worse kit which you can upgrade as it wears out instead of a poor frame with nice kit on

Im sure someone with a full susser will let you try their bike on one of the rides, probably better on a day light weekend ride so you can see whats going on and find one with the same type of pedals to clip into (unless you run flats)

Hi mate, i prefer to run flats, don't feel very confident being clipped in, like to be able to get out quick when i need to....

I won't have the money until next year, don't want to get 0%, its another payment i HAVE to make if i was to loose my job.

I'll have just over 2K for a bike next year, quite fancy a Marin....do you reckon i could get a decent one of those for that price?
Definately although without being biased, there are lighter and more competent bikes (suspension wise) out there but everyone has different preferences. There are a few of us that use flats so im sure someone can let you have a go so you can see what they are like. Best to have a test ride if youre dropping 2k on a bike, especially if its your first full susser. I didnt on my current one but then I spent 3 months analysing geometry figures etc before choosing and got it perfect heh

If you wait till Aug/Sept next time they will be reduced so you could get a 2.5k bike for 2k probably or a 2k one for 1.5k