This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter Tape
Has anybody had experience with this stuff?

- Where is the best place to buy it.....cheaply?
- How easy is it to apply?
- Any tips to reduce the likelihood of me losing my marbles?

I'll be applying to the frame before building the bike, which I imagine helps.
"Blackers" Wrote:Has anybody had experience with this stuff?

- Where is the best place to buy it.....cheaply?
- How easy is it to apply?
- Any tips to reduce the likelihood of me losing my marbles?

I'll be applying to the frame before building the bike, which I imagine helps.

- Where is the best place to buy it.....cheaply? Ebay
- How easy is it to apply? not that hard until you get air bubbles
- Any tips to reduce the likelihood of me losing my marbles? Your a sketchy member need i say more..  Tongue
When choosing your tape, don't necessarily go for the thickest, the think stuff can be a bugger to manipulate & probably thicker than you need anyway.. A hair dryer helps. I bought mine off ebay fairly cheaply. Good strong stuff without being too thick. It was a while ago but I'll have a look & see if anything looks familar
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:When choosing your tape, don't necessarily go for the thickest, the think stuff can be a bugger to manipulate & probably thicker than you need anyway.. A hair dryer helps. I bought mine off ebay fairly cheaply. Good strong stuff without being too thick. It was a while ago but I'll have a look & see if anything looks familar

Cheers.
I need something better as whatever I have which I got from a bike shop is not much cop (hah). It keeps peeling off any curved bits ie the seatstays despite me cleaning them properly with isopropnyl etc, needs better glue I guess
"Breezer" Wrote:I need something better as whatever I have which I got from a bike shop is not much cop (hah). It keeps peeling off any curved bits ie the seatstays despite me cleaning them properly with isopropnyl etc, needs better glue I guess

Probably needs to be slightly thinner. I had the same problem with the tape I got from "Justridingalong" The new stuff shapes so much better & is still plenty think enough
Makes sense ta, will find some, need to protect my frame more although not riding it for a few weeks is doing a good job as well lol
I have a friend who sells it, I can ask him if he can do a good price. usually he is cheaper then ebay. its good stuff to, lots of people on another forum uses his stuff.
"ianpinder" Wrote:I have a friend who sells it, I can ask him if he can do a good price. usually he is cheaper then ebay. its good stuff to, lots of people on another forum uses his stuff.

Excellent! Cheers for that. Next question is what parts of the bike would one apply the tape too. Downtube obviously but where else...
I did most of my frame when I rebuilt my Slayer a couple of years ago; down tube, top tube, setat tube, the graphics on the seat stays and the fork legs.  Over time it has started to lift/bubble around the front mech clamp, where it gets clamped onto a roof rack and one of the seat stay sections finally gave up the other day when I cleaned it  :o

I got the tape from ebay but cant remember who the seller was or how much and found it ok to put on but was useful to have a hairdryer handy too  Wink  The only tricky bit was where the tubes arent the same shape all the way down.  Two years on and the paintwork is only chipped in a couple of places that arent taped so pleased with that Smile
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been