This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOT4 Fluid
Morning All

Hope everyone is good and groovy Smile

Im going to bleed my brakes in the next couple of weeks as part of my pre winter service.  Of the several different brands of DOT4 fluid available, would people recommend one over the others?  My brakes are Formula Oro K24's.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Does not matter which brand just make sure its dot4 if thats whats required
"leadbasher" Wrote:Does not matter which brand just make sure its dot4 if thats whats required

+1

halfords sell small size bottles of dot4 for a couple of £, you'll also find they sell dot4 in the bike hut section for double the price.  my hayes strokers have had halfords stuff in (without issue), but I changed it to hayes fluid when i fitted my goodridge cables.
Quote:you'll also find they sell dot4 in the bike hut section for double the price

Its not always bad though as yesterday they sold me this months WMB for £1.99  ;D

Have also considered a Goodridge upgrade, did you change to the Hayes fluid for a particular reason or was it just what you had at the time?  
"stayhigh65" Wrote:Its not always bad though as yesterday they sold me this months WMB for £1.99  ;D

Have also considered a Goodridge upgrade, did you change to the Hayes fluid for a particular reason or was it just what you had at the time?  

what I had at the time, it had come with the bleading kit, but I used the halfords stuff first as wasn't sure how easy it was going to be, so though waste the cheap stuff first.

if you're thinking about the cables then and you need to bleed the brakes already, then now would be an ideal time to do them both.

shameless pic wh0re time for mine lol

resim

resim
Shameless indeed lol but they do look very nice Wink

Cant really run to the cost of doing the cables at the moment, its one of those "would like to get round to doing" things.  I'll have to make do with a quick stealth into Halfords once my bleed kit arrives for now.
they are one of those "upgrades" that are really just for looks, so if you've not got the £ then just go for the bleed.

do you know what you're doing when it comes to bleeding the brakes?  Have you got a catch?
Catch  Undecided

Ive not bled brakes before so shall be sailing painfully into the void armed with only the guide from Formula, utube, an infinate supply of tea and cunning use of bad language  Wink
the catch is a device to pump the used fluid into, mine consists of an old evian bottle, with a zip tie round the neck and a length of washtube hose.  on the strokers, you bleed from the calliper up, do you hang the catch bottle on the handle bar, and pump the fluid out / through into that.  I think the oro's use a similar system, where as shimano have a top fill reservoir.

before you do it, read thought the manual, then read it again. get some disposable gloves from wilko, and make sure you've got some white spirit or meths / rags handy as you need that to wipe up any spills, otherwise the DOT4 will eat through your paintwork quite quickly.
Excellent stuff Ridg, cheers for the advice Smile  I'd heard that DOT fluid is quite aggresive so was planning on masking the frame with a plastic sheet.