This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double Chain Ring and Bash Guard
Hi,

After the weekends trip to Afan I've decided that I want to swap to the double chain ring and bash guard set up (If thats what it is even called!) There were plenty of times on the trails and the dh course that the chain came of completely or just wasn't there when I needed it to be.

I don't know where to start, what I need or if I can do it myself or is it a job for a shop? Any ideas how much it'll cost too as ££ is a factor here!

You advice as 'experts' is appreciated!

Ash.
http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1251644001/
Cheers for link Breezer. I have a read through it and it sounds very technical. You set up looks good, and that exactly what i want to achieve with my bike. The noise from chain slap is far to loud for me. I will go with a bash guard as well. It looks like a to technical job for my mechanical skills so I'll have a shop do it! How much do you reckon a conversion like this costs?
All the chain slap is due to the long chain mainly although as a bit of the frame design, mine used to make tons of noise on the seat stay even with velco. You could just get a lower roller like me for about £18, various types, my frame has the 3 ISCG mounts on the bottom bracket so just bolts on, others that dont go on inplace of a bottom bracket spacer and you will need the relevant tools to remove your cranks regardless

You could then find a bash guard on ebay for a tenner I expect. I changed my middle ring though, went to a 36T instead of the 32T else it woudl be a bit too low geared, that added £35 or something to the cost.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...elID=17282
"Breezer" Wrote:All the chain slap is due to the long chain mainly although as a bit of the frame design, mine used to make tons of noise on the seat stay even with velco. You could just get a lower roller like me for about £18, various types, my frame has the 3 ISCG mounts on the bottom bracket so just bolts on, others that dont go on inplace of a bottom bracket spacer and you will need the relevant tools to remove your cranks regardless

You could then find a bash guard on ebay for a tenner I expect. I changed my middle ring though, went to a 36T instead of the 32T else it woudl be a bit too low geared, that added £35 or something to the cost.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...elID=17282

What is an ISCG mount? How do I tell if my frame has got them?

I need to know how many teeth my chain rings have then do I?
Look at your bottom bracket to see if it has the 3 tabs/holes like in this pic below. You will have a 32 teeth middle ring. If you never use the outer then no need to change but to fit a roller you can only have 2 rings you see so you have to remove the outer hence I got a 36 tooth so I had some higher gears still

resim
I never use my outer ring up front so will happily get rid of that and just keep the middle and granny ring.

I'll google now to see if my frame has ISG mounts.

In you pic, do you not think you outer ring looks to exposed?
Its actually the middle ring as the outers removed heh but no, not really. Its a 36 tooth so I have more ground clearane than when I had the outer ring on which was 42 tooth...... I caught that a couple of times when riding due to my bikes low bottom bracket but never bent a tooth so I should have less issues now, bash guards are light though and go on in place of the outer ring so probably a good idea. Plus if you dont have one you need to spend another tenner buying half length chain ring bolts
Your best bet would be the one Breezer linked to above, but you will need the BB mounted one as your frame dose not have ISCG mounts. The only problem though is that they can only be used in conjunction with external BB, and if memory serves me right yours is an internal square taper BB, so you will have to buy a new crankset too to be able to run a chain tensioner.  There is nothing stopping you from replacing the big ring with a bash though and shortening the chain to reduce chain slap, and the only tools you will need is a set of allen keys and a chain tool. I would highly recommend replacing your 32 tooth middle ring with a 36 or 38 tooth when it wears out.
Surely all bikes for a few years have had external bearing BB's whether they are hollowtech, Isis or even octalink which must be 5+ years old? Only proper old bikes have decent internal square taper BB's like my Breezer which last better than any of this modern rubbish