This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build - With the help of the Forum
Yes, unless you have all the proper tools. Make sure you get a price over the phone, prices vary considerably.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Yes, unless you have all the proper tools. Make sure you get a price over the phone, prices vary considerably.

What should I be paying for facing the headtube and BB? Roughly?

Im planning on fitting the headset myself. (which will be cock up number one I expect)
this is gonna be the first of the forum arguments... I say don't bother, breezer will say otherwise, someone else will say do it yourself with a file. If there is any paint around where you are going to screw the bottom bracket into then it will potentially make the bracket very slightly out of alignment. Remove any excess paint by gently filing it off or scrape it away with a screwdriver.

Also don't blame me if you bugger your frame up, and don't take any notice of anything you read on the internet. Good Luck
Keep it foolish...
i fitted my headset the other day, place the cup over the frame, it will sit snuggly in the top of the tube but will not fall straight into the tube. Support the headtube by resting it on a piece of wood (garden bench maybe) and place a bit of flat wood ontop of the carefully placed cup. Give it a little experimental tapping with a mallet. Now give it a sound walloping, like Obelix would. Hey Presto, you've just fitted your upper headset cup... Wonkily... But it worked for me and was easy as long as you are gentle.
Keep it foolish...
There are lots of different meathods of bodging your headset, i have tried several and suckseded only in making myself very angry, so personnally i will always get the LBS to do it. downlands only charges me £10, a new frame and/or headset cost's conciderably more! But i can't see the point of facing the headset and bb, as surely it is impossible for the bb to go in wonky unless you cross thread it? As long as there isn't big blobs of paint or powdercoat on them i  wouldn't bother.
Facing the BB is an urban myth, its rubbish and you dont need to do it.

To fit the headset get a bit of wood and a hammer, or make your own press with a big bolt and some washers.
OK. I'll scrape the paint off myself and then get the LBS to do the headset.

Cheers. I'll be back for 'copter tape guidance no doubt.
"Treehugger" Wrote:There are lots of different meathods of bodging your headset, i have tried several and suckseded only in making myself very angry,

you were angry to begin with
Keep it foolish...
"Blackers" Wrote:OK. I'll scrape the paint off myself.

do you have paint on yourself?
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:do you have paint on yourself?

resim