This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setting up wireless on my pc for PS3
Would any of you computer types be able to help me.

I am running Vista (i know i know) and i have a usb internet conection (speedtouch usb) and  i have a wireless dongle and i cannot for the live of me get it to share the internet conection so i can connect my PS3. any help would be greatfull or a PM so i could call you and talk it through at some point would be even better.

I know its a bit of a ask but my small son is driving me mad wanting to play as the joker on Batman Arkhan Asylum  ;D . i will be happy as well because i can download demos again.

It was all so simple under XP  Undecided
Sounds tricky - but its under Internet Connection sharing, not thats Ive needed to do it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/foru...5f983c7c7/

You need to get yourself a nice and shiny Wireless Router to solve it all......

Ooh, a bit like this loveley White Netgear Rangemax I have lying around here!..... Wink
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Sounds tricky - but its under Internet Connection sharing, not thats Ive needed to do it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/foru...5f983c7c7/

You need to get yourself a nice and shiny Wireless Router to solve it all......

Ooh, a bit like this loveley White Netgear Rangemax I have lying around here!..... Wink

Cheers Ben but how do i do this

"To my surprise, the solution is extremely simple.

First, disable the satic IP and ICS (if you have set previously).
"
Try this:  (Im googling here)

Windows Vista

To enable ICS, on your host computer:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
2. Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.
NoteThe Sharing tab will not be available if you have only one network connection.4. If desired, you can also select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
5. Optionally, to allow other network users to use services running on your network, click Settings and select the services you want to allow.
When you enable ICS, your loacal area connection (LAN) connection gets a new static ip address and configuration, so you'll need to reestablish any TCP/IP connections between your host computer and the other network computers.
To test your network and Internet connection, see if you can share files between computers and make sure each computer can reach a website.

Configure TCP/IP

To use ICS, make sure the local area network (LAN) connection on each network computer is configured to get an IP address automatically. To do this:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
2. Right-click the LAN connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.
4. Click Obtain an IP address automatically or Obtain an IPv6 address automatically.
The Internet options on your network computers should also be configured for ICS.
Do not use ICS on a network with domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, or DHCP servers. And don't use ICS on systems configured for static IP addresses.

ICS and VPN connections

If you create a virtual privat enetwork (VPN) connection on your host computer to a corporate network and then enable ICS on that connection, all Internet traffic is routed to the corporate network and all of the computers on your home network can access the corporate network. If you don't enable ICS on the VPN connection, other computers will not have access to the Internet or corporate network while the VPN connection is active on the host computer.

or instead of changing settings, one can just select both or all of the network connections, right click and select "Bridge Connections" or "Add to Bridge depending if you are on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Thanks for your help Ben, tried it all again and nearly ended up smashing it to bits  >Sad
Vista.... PS3......

At least the PS3 comes with wifi built in, the adapter for the 360 is almost £50! its only a standard USB one which are £15 but of course you need the MS drivers so I just wire mine into my adsl router which sits next to it. Was a pain at my parents as that was downstairs but the 360 was upstairs so I had to bounce it via my linux PC acting as a wifi bridge
If you do get it working, let me know, it'll be nice to have some people on my PS3 friends list that I actually know.
"redwinnie" Wrote:If you do get it working, let me know, it'll be nice to have some people on my PS3 friends list that I actually know.

deadpool2e is my name on there, if i get it working that is....
mines redwinnie, we're original aren't we.
Can you not just use a network cable into your adsl router or is it in a completly different room?