This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employers Rights?
Does anyone know anything about Employers rights?

I'm looking to find out if they legally have to right to say to someone "No you cannot drop a day" (per week)
And I quote "Without a good reason" - Should "Because I want to" not be acceptable.

And what rights do they have to automatically sign you on for overtime (10+ hour shifts) without any written consent from yourself or say in the matter.

And yes, this is to do with where I work.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Difficult to say without seeing your contract.
Unless you have signed a contract saying you can only work certain days and hours then yes i believe they are within their rights.
Should all be in your contract ... its in mine !

I would imagine that "because i want to" isnt a valid excuse ... im assuming that a work contract works like any other contract ... once your signed in for x amount of years you've got to stick to it ... much like a mobile phone contract etc but if you have a valid reason they will change it (i had to change my hours due to sixth form before !)
My contract has the utterly brilliant (from their point of view!) statement thats something like "and any other role we request of you" ie they can make me do anythin
"Breezer" Wrote:My contract has the utterly brilliant (from their point of view!) statement thats something like "and any other role we request of you" ie they can make me do anythin

Mine too. Its pretty standard these days. Papa. Check your contract and then go and seek guidance on the Consumer Action Group forums. Plenty of legally qualified members who seem to have noting better to do than emerse themselves in other peoples problems. Which is handy!

Out of interets though..are you full time and paid an anual salary at present? or are you paid by the hour?
It's not for me, it's for my gf

I was able to drop a day and take up a half day earlier in the week easy. But she wants to drop from 4 days to 3 a week, dropping a day they're never busy on, but they've said no. And tbh being the tits that they are they'd probably still say no even if it was a case of "My mother is terminally ill, and I need to care for her at weekends"

As for the contracts, none of us have one. This is due to when the place first opened people were arguing that they couldnt be sent in the chiller/stack shelves/clear up cardboard because it wasn't in their contract... So they've witheld them so they can add this kinda thing in and we can't argue it.
So I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing..
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o