This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kona Mash up 2010
Hello All, Havent met many of the Sketchy riders yet but im sure by the time this comes round i would have ridden with most.

Me and a friend are looking at doing the June/July Kona Mash Up race in Affan next year and wondered whether any of you guys would be interested. Our aim would probably be to do it as cheap as poss but have at least 2 days of riding, probably race day then ride again the following day.

Reason for posting so early is that at the moment they haven't released the dates yet, when they do im sure the accomodation will get boked up mega quick and the lodges will put their prices up. Camping is also an option to make it really cheap but once again the pitches will go quick.

I may be able to get a 16 seater minibus pretty cheaper with a trailer but will have to see nearer the time.

So any interest ?
Not sure about that one but I will probably drive up for the day in December and have a go depending on work....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Si.Ozzy&quot; Wrote:Hello All, Havent met many of the Sketchy riders yet but im sure by the time this comes round i would have ridden with most.

Me and a friend are looking at doing the June/July Kona Mash Up race in Affan next year and wondered whether any of you guys would be interested. Our aim would probably be to do it as cheap as poss but have at least 2 days of riding, probably race day then ride again the following day.

Reason for posting so early is that at the moment they haven't released the dates yet, when they do im sure the accomodation will get boked up mega quick and the lodges will put their prices up. Camping is also an option to make it really cheap but once again the pitches will go quick.

I may be able to get a 16 seater minibus pretty cheaper with a trailer but will have to see nearer the time.

So any interest ?

How long before entrys etc have to be in ? Do you know roughly when they release the dates ? Or is it a 2 week before hand release then eveyone has a mad rush ... Big Grin
Im considering doing the one in december but i would be up for the ones next you too. Would enter the technical cat.
Some people I know did one of them earlier this year and really enjoyed it.
Id be useless at both disciplines, so probably not worth the trip for me........
iirc you are only timed on the downhill bits which you have done many times so won't be too bad then you just have to get to the next timed bit within a certain time period which is quite slack so no rushing
Its 2 disciplines isnt it? - 1 predominantly XC or uphill stage, then the DH section.

If Im right, you dont know when/where it is, is that right?

Im game for a laugh, but knowing and seeing some riders tackle those sections, I might aswell walk down!  Tongue
They should release the dates by the end of the year i think or early next year. The last 2 years have been at Affan so i assume next year will be the same.

Heres what the website says -

"How it works
Each rider enters a category. The choices are ENDURO or TECHNICAL.

ENDURO: You will ride the Whites Level loop (excluding the black run) plus the July trail (total riding distance of approx. 40km). You will be timed on the parts of the climb, the single-track and downhill sections.

TECHNICAL: You will ride the Whites Level loop (including the black run - now with fiber optics supported LIVE TIMING), but your time will only be taken on particular single track and the downhill sections.  You will still ride (or push!) up the climb, but that time will not be included in your result, so you can take your time!

If you’ve entered the ENDURO category then you will be timed on all the timing sections on the White’s Level (except the black run) and the July Trail (part of the Skyline trial). You have to ride the whole course (which means the climb twice) at least once to complete your category. The distance for the whole ride is roughly 40km. You can ride this as often as you like. For your overall time, which determines the position within the ENDURO category, all timed sections (climb, single track and downhill) will be added up. If you do a section more than once then the fastest time counts. What you do in between the timed sections is up to you. You can ride on, walk, sit and have a break etc – whatever you like.

If you entered the TECHNICAL category then you will be timed on all sections (including the black run) of the White’s Level course except the climb. You have to ride all the timed sections on that course at least once but if you do some or all sections more than once then the fastest attempt counts. Same as in the ENDURO category – what you do outside the timed sections is completely up to you. Obviously you don’t get timed on the climb but you still have to ride (or walk if you prefer) to the top".

I think the atmosphere will be awesome, loads of sponsor stands too, i'd probably do the Technical section to avoid the climbs but the enduro would suit less aggressive riders that like the climbs. This category would be good as there wont be anyone riding DH bikes that completely nail the DH sections.
Sounds good ... i get my holiday from for the following year in january so if i can get transport ill want to do it !

Do you enter in teams of 2 ie one does the climbing one the DH ? or just 1 for all sections ?