This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Forks
I'm only fiddling with the ht and im already confused.

The LBS installed the headset. I put the forks through the headtube, the top part of the headset goes on then, followed by spacers, then the stem and finally the top cap thing.

When I tighten the top cap there is play. If I tighten it more the whole thing is too tight to turn. I cant seem to find any middle ground without the play coming back.

Any suggestions?
How much of the stem shows over the top of the steerer tube?

You have installed the crown race to the fork I assume?
"BMJBOY" Wrote:How much of the stem shows over the top of the steerer tube?

You have installed the crown race to the fork I assume?

+1 ... Or what order are you tightening the bolts ? I think its top cap first to load it then tighten the stem
Crown race is on the steerer. I have about 4mm of stem above the top of the steerer.

Im tightening the top cap first and then the stem.

Just had another go and there is no middle ground between having play and then the headset being so tight the fork wont turn.
"Blackers" Wrote:Crown race is on the steerer. I have about 4mm of stem above the top of the steerer.

Im tightening the top cap first and then the stem.

Just had another go and there is no middle ground between having play and then the headset being so tight the fork wont turn.

Have you got wheels fitted to the frame/fork ? Is it definetly play in the headset ... ive made the mistake off thinking my headshot is shot (so has papa smurf!) when actually its the cones in the front wheel !

EDIT : just read your post properly :B

Might be that there isnt enough space between the top off the stem and steerer ? Have you got a 5mm spacer you can place under the stem and try that way ? Might not be this im just guessing Big Grin if the top cap is touching the top of the steerer this can cause problems ... im guessing 4mm isnt much ?
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Have you got wheels fitted to the frame/fork ? Is it definetly play in the headset ... ive made the mistake off thinking my headshot is shot (so has papa smurf!) when actually its the cones in the front wheel !

Its definately the headset area. I can see the parts move.
"Blackers" Wrote:Its definately the headset area. I can see the parts move.

check my edit :B
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:check my edit :B

I only learned how to tighten cones recently so it was a good suggestion. ive got enough spacers to play. How much space between the top of the steerer tube and top of the stem would the forum recommend?
"Blackers" Wrote:I only learned how to tighten cones recently so it was a good suggestion. ive got enough spacers to play. How much space between the top of the steerer tube and top of the stem would the forum recommend?

Aslong as you've got enough steerer to cover both stem bolts i think it should be fine ... try whacking a 5mm spacer underneath to check if it tightens correctly !
Definitely sounds like not enough spacers. I did the same thing when i swapped the forks over in the car park on a Surrey Hills ride because i was doing it in a rush!