This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United front
Hi,

Been watching the threads about trail centres/trail building etc and just wondered what the thoughts are about setting up a united group that tackles all these issues? Having been riding around Blean for a couple of years now you can't shake the feeling that you are doing something wrong and that you are moments away from being accosted by a do gooder member of the public. There are some good trails out there but there is also alot of potential also. So perhaps a united front/club is the way forward - any thoughts?

Richard.
Hi surfingjoyner aka Rjj, heres your old post you can continue on with if you want.

http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-12.../s-0/#num0

Do you actually ride bikes?
"surfingjoyner" Wrote:Hi,

Been watching the threads about trail centres/trail building etc and just wondered what the thoughts are about setting up a united group that tackles all these issues? Having been riding around Blean for a couple of years now you can't shake the feeling that you are doing something wrong and that you are moments away from being accosted by a do gooder member of the public. There are some good trails out there but there is also alot of potential also. So perhaps a united front/club is the way forward - any thoughts?

Richard.
I recently contacted Canterbury Council asking about plans for mountain bike trails and, eventualy, they responded with a simple "No".  It seems the only governmental money for cycling seems to be thrown at Sustrans.  An organisation that seems to be desperate to fill the roads with hi-viz wearing roadies.  Better than nowt, but not what we're after.
It does seem, for a while yet, that mountain bike trail building may have to stay underground.  :'(
"Legless" Wrote:I'd beware Richards first post complaining about bikers on footpaths. I sincerely hope he is a genuine chap looking to get involved. but all too often on kite forums we get bird watchers posting things trying to get info to use against us. Maybe i'm just cynical, but it is an odd first post, no hello i'm new, just straight into something which is obviously a sore point. The fact the you mention the RSPB routes makes me think Twitcher. Hope i'm wrong and if i am i'll have a slice of humble pie and welcome you to the forum.

If not then we must be scoring some google points to be getting random posts from interested parties...

I only ride Blean in the dark.

Impished'sLegless's response resurrected from the first thread on this topic .. Hit the nail right on the head I do believe, & well spotted Buzz.
Strange that someone under two different names joins & starts a thread and then doesn't wish to contribute any further on either of the debates.  :o

Edit: hangs head in shame for getting nmaes all mixed up..
"surfingjoyner" Wrote:Having been riding around Blean for a couple of years now you can't shake the feeling that you are doing something wrong and that you are moments away from being accosted by a do gooder member of the public.

You cant have much guilt built up if youve been riding the trails for 2 years.

If you have such racked up guilt - Ride around Bedgebury, or Fowlmead or stick to the roads.

The majority of MTB'ers are a considerate bunch and I have not met ANYONE who detrement the MTB scene. Unfortunatly its the office jockeys higher up the chain who enforce such ridiculous access rules, which if left free would mean much more freedom and access for keeping fit.

Im my years of riding, I have only ever come across one questionable pedestrian ONCE when I failed to see an access sign (which turns out didnt exist) whereby I was on his private land crossing to a bridleway - I duly spoke to the man, and walked to the bridleway in agreement - Its about getting along with people and common sense.
I wouldn't like to be around when Rjj comes around that blind corner & runs straight into surfingjoyner.... right ol mess that would be  :o
Ok - apologies for posting under two names - I am indeed rjj on STW and I thought that I had signed on here using my yahoo account but when I checked I hadn't and hence why I signed up again. The reason that I did not respond to the original post is that other things took over in my life at that point.

I do ride bikes, not as much as I would like mind.

When I ride over Blean I stick to the paths that are not marked as RSPB routes. My reason for doing this is when I walk with my young family I dont want them being hit by a cyclist and I assume other parents would not want this either. I know most that mountain bike are considerate etc but at the same time they are designated as walkers path.  The argument over my own personal use of teh woods is somewhat distarcting from the main point of getting more recognition for cyclists in these areas. We need a system that allows mountain bikes in these woods but at the same time protects the walkers saftey. I feel no guilt over using the trails in the woods, access to all areas of the country side is an issue that needs addressing asap, but I dont like the feeling that someone may take offence to my doing so, which is why I try to keep well clear of walkers etc.

I am interested in sorting this situation out, and looking at improiving access to other wooded areas in East Kent but perhaps I came at it at the wrong angle and for taht I apologise.

Richard.
No problem Richard - you are welcome here, and welcome to your views.

No one wants a hairy biker tearing them up on a blind corner in the woods, agreed, but that would clearly be the bikers fault for not using caution/common sense when in a walkers environment. I would however prefer a biker coming at me than a horse galloping! (just ask some of our lot about the recent Afan trip who met a horse rider on a designated Whites trail!)

I think every MTB'er in the land would like more free access and more signed/designated areas - but unfortunatly, we are a minority, and very little is ever done.

But if these areas where opened up, it would entice more walkers/horse riders too - so its an issue from several angles.

Scotland has the right idea : the right to roam, all pathways are fair-game and open to all.  Seems to work up there, so why not here?