This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTB Orienteering
I've spent today doing this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mudandsweat.com/mtbnav.html">http://www.mudandsweat.com/mtbnav.html</a><!-- m -->

An MTB orienteering event. We didn't get too lost, only had a couple of arguments and WON! The opponents must have been really shit.

resim

Check out that haul of goodies, there's a medal, it's like sports day!
Keep it foolish...
Good work! I've always fancied trying one of those events as I am a much better orienteerererer than I am mountain biker. I've seen them going at Surrey before actually.
Well done Mike Smile

IIRC Gorrick do a ride where you are given a map with check points so you plan a route to include as many as you can in the time allowed before crossing the finish line.

Edit : Trailtrax
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
"Fat Tyre Challenge" used to be the best ones I did, albeit many years ago. I've done a few Gorricks over the years & found them to be a bit too easy to find as they all seemed to be down easy to access fire roads IMHO. The Fat Tyres were much more challenging & exhausting.. That said its been years since I've done one & would be interested to see if they have changed
That's pretty much exactly what I did at the weekend man. They gave us a laminated map with a selection of checkpoints, each one worth a different number of points (the more distant, the greater score) and a 'dibber' wrist tag that beeped when it was put into the checkpoint marker. This registered us and cut out any cheating.

The moors are not totally open to bikers, but are criss-crossed by bridle-paths which are rough as you like and are very good cycling challenge. We actually ended up doing quite a lot on-road, despite it officially being a mtb event, I reckon with a cross bike and a good set of legs for the occasional off-bike run it would have been more fun. As it was, the weather was good, loads of riders in solo, pairs, team and family categories, 2 or 3.5 hour event options, nice vibe and no big injuries (one dude twisted his ankle), all made for a wicked Sunday out.

Interestingly, pairs was won by a mixed couple (me and Anakin), team was won by a group of 4 girls, and all of the family teams included girls. Girls round here are pretty tough and can read maps too.
Keep it foolish...