This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SLX Cranks,a crack?
After seeing this thread

http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index...932.0.html

I thought i would check mine out as i get a creak from the non drive side.

resim
resim

Mine are the double version with the steal pedal insert,anybody fancy checking theres?
Very odd. Tons of marks on your pedals and end of the cranks although not in the exact area of the crack but presumably its a stress fracture from ground contact. Wonder if thats why a set of Leighs Saints creak all the time, will ask him tomorrow. No issues with my Hones or XT's noise wise at least, will check the ends.
just checked mine, i got the SLX double with bash........both arms have cracks!
ill check my tripple. suprising though, what with the slx having such a bulletproof reputation. for that reason getting a replacement shouldnt be too hard.
Looks like the bike components industry needs to shape up with thier engineering capabilities!
i actually notices a creak yesterday but didnt think too much of it. I got a spare pair of XT cranks, am considering fitting the double ring to them now.
My Hones are cracked exactly the same!!! infact worse than Russ's slx's!
Had mine bit over 3 years so I guess out of warranty as posted on the linked thread says 2 years, they have been doing the odd creak, presumed it was the BB. They have the metal pedal insert but its a loose one on the older Hones, not bonded in, will get a photo later when I finish ranting
ok so my SLX have only been on the bike about 3 months and are cracked, they have the steel pedal insert. They replaced an XT triple chainset which had only been on the bike a similar time and dont have inserts, the cracks are even bigger in these crank arms!! I have another XT crankset which I can check tomorrow but suspect they will be the same (anyone after a triple XT crankset by any chance?)

Bottom line here I think is that Shimano will already know about this but will not replace as although they seem to be cracking I have yet to hear of one failing, and I would imagine until they do start failing and injuring people they wont be recalled.
just googled it, someone posted a pic of cracked crank arms on the mtbr forum back in 2004. No warranty claim here I bet.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=560348">http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=560348</a><!-- m -->