This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres
What is the difference between 42a and 60a compound when talking about tyres?
"mashley" Wrote:What is the difference between 42a and 60a tyres when talking about tyres?

Lower the number, the softer the compound IIRC - therefore 42a will grip better but wear out fast. 60a is more hardwearing.

I assume we are in reference to the High Roller tyres - personally, 60a are just fine and have never failed me, even at a saturated Afan rock-fest.

Sounds like some others have recently delved into the 42a compounds - would be interesting to hear if anyone can actually tell the difference.

EDIT : If you are looking at a 42a, it only needs to be on the front if anything.
Yep its the front I'm replacing from Saturday. I thought that was the case about it wearing quicker so I'll prob go for the 60a from Wiggle they are £20.66 atm.
"mashley" Wrote:Yep its the front I'm replacing from Saturday. I thought that was the case about it wearing quicker so I'll prob go for the 60a from Wiggle they are £20.66 atm.

Cheaper here:
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/8003.html

Although Im unsure on postage costs.

Give mine a whirl first though.........
its really hard to get a 2.35 ust high roller in 42a at the moment. i noticed a difference at Afan after i changed it there.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Cheaper here:
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/8003.html

Although Im unsure on postage costs.

Give mine a whirl first though.........

Surely better to buy through the link above for Sketchy?  Undecided
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:its really hard to get a 2.35 ust high roller in 42a at the moment. i noticed a difference at Afan after i changed it there.

If a 42a wears quicker then i'd go for the 60 as durability is a factor for me here. It needs to last as long as possible!!
"mashley" Wrote:Surely better to buy through the link above for Sketchy?  Undecided

Well of course, but charity begins at home dont forget.......

I reckon theres not much in it, I usually hit wiggle if the cost difference is negligable - but sometimes Wiggle is the most expensive store.
"mashley" Wrote:If a 42a wears quicker then i'd go for the 60 as durability is a factor for me here. It needs to last as long as possible!!

My 42a tyres are still going after 1 year+ admittedly the centre lugs are pretty worn but i do a fair few miles on the road !

I stupidly bought my tyre from halfords for £20-£25 ... should of looked online really  :B
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Well of course, but charity begins at home dont forget.......

I reckon theres not much in it, I usually hit wiggle if the cost difference is negligable - but sometimes Wiggle is the most expensive store.

It does indeed Ben! I'll see how I feel about it later when I'm hovering over the confirm button!!  Tongue