This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Trance X - Bearings
Following on from some mild assesment my MrTinc and MrT-Hugger, I think I maybe in need of a little guidance with regards to the bearings on my TranceX.

I first noticed the issue when lifiting my bike by the seat after Afan.

If you lift the bike from the seat slowly, you can feel a little "clunk" before the bike lifts.  This points to some bearing issues I guess, I think we pinpointed movement on one of the bearings at the top of the shock.

Im guessing it might just be beneficial to get the lot done(?)

If so, where?, how? who? etc.........

Its not a major issue I doubt at the moment, but dont want to make things worse with my fat harris sitting on it........  Wink

Any help welcome.....
If its at the top of the shock could it be the shock bushing?
I doubt its the bearings, as said it will be one of the shock bushings. Pretty easy to change with a vice.
Depends on the linkage. Four bars always do the bearings by the BB as do VPP's
"Buzz" Wrote:Pretty easy to change with a vice.

Got plenty of those!  Wink

TBH - Andy and Tinc where not 100% sure where the clunk was being generated - next time Im out riding in daylight with someone who can help, it might be better to take a look then.

If its a cheap job, I see no reason to not just do all of them, then I know where I am with it (its a SH frame afterall)

Im not amazingly technically gifted, I know my way around a spanner, but Im not going to fashion a tool to "bodge" a bearing in if you catch my drift.

My estimation of my LBS is gradually slipping away.... so would need to find a recommended one, even if it means a drive if this job cannot be done at home.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Got plenty of those!  Wink

TBH - Andy and Tinc where not 100% sure where the clunk was being generated - next time Im out riding in daylight with someone who can help, it might be better to take a look then.

If its a cheap job, I see no reason to not just do all of them, then I know where I am with it (its a SH frame afterall)

Im not amazingly technically gifted, I know my way around a spanner, but Im not going to fashion a tool to "bodge" a bearing in if you catch my drift.

My estimation of my LBS is gradually slipping away.... so would need to find a recommended one, even if it means a drive if this job cannot be done at home.
I could definitely feel some movement at the top shock bushing. From what i have read about the Meistro system it tends to be this one that goes first. Best way to tell (and i should have done this on Tuesday but obviously left my brain on the train :B) is to lift the back wheel off the ground and rock the rear wheel the same way you would check for play in the rear hub. If there is no lateral movement then it will definitely be the shock mount.

As far as bike shops are concerned, and i know they are not the best, but Cycles UK did a good job at changing all my bearings, and if the chainstay had been in stock would have got it done same day. I used the Canterbury branch though, not that impressed with the guys in Maidstone.
Bearings and shock bushes are dead easy to change. Depending upon which ones they are all you do is have two sockets, one large & one sized the size size as the bearing race. Simply use the small socket to drift it out, using the large socket as the base into what you are hammering the bearing.... not sure that makes total sense but hopefully you'll get what Im trying to say. With a vice ans small block of wood top prevent damage, squeeze them back in. Simples ;D

And without seeing or feeling it I would guess at the shock bushes.  I have a BETD account but from experience its cheaper to by them directly off the internet because they send everything out to trade accounts recorded delievery & charge nearly £8 no matter how small the things are.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/">http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->
The top shock bushing went on my Trance.  A new set of bushings was £20 from Mojo IIRC and i paid Downlands £10 to fit them as i didn't have a suitable vice at home.  Mojo then replaced them a month or so after when i got it serviced but that was just as it is part of their standard service.  I wish i'd known as i'd have saved £30!!

Be careful if you get it checked out at a shop.  I went to Tibbs in Canterbury and they suggested a new rocker assembly at £60 which wasn't needed at all.  Downland cycles spotted the real problem immediately when i got a second opinion
Guys - Im looking into running repairs and replacements for early next year, to get the Trance "sweet" for Wales in April.

Got a quote from LBS for a FULL bearing change on the Trance for £39.99.

Good VFM? - or rip off?
Is that for the labour or are the bearings & labour included? I have serviced a mates x2 twice now and we stripped the whole backend down. He purchased the bearing replacement tool kit which costs £80-90 on it's own! Make sure they are using half decent japanese bearings.
I think giant have a slight issue with the trance frames as the bearings are so exposed to mud and water, i noticed the new carbon model has covers, probably a good idea if they fit your frame.