This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE SKETCHY NORTH WALES TRIP 2015 - 24-27 April
For clarity (and because someone got a bit bossy) I've deleted the confusing previous thread and summarised what has been decided up to now. Thanks to Ian and Rachel for their efforts organising so far. Could I suggest that one person now takes on responsibility of deadline dates, deposits and confirming bookings?

The outline:

The Sketchy Wales trip has become an annual event for us all to get together for an informal, friendly and hopefully quite silly long weekend. Everyone is welcome, regardless of ability, fitness, knowing anyone else on the trip, time since joining the forum, time since posting on the forum... ...you get the picture

We usually travel on the Friday and ride en route on the Friday afternoon (e.g. Llandegla). We'd then normally head to a trail centre on the Saturday where people ride the trails they want to (e.g. Coed-Y-Brenin). Some people opt for an uplift on the Sunday (e.g Antur). Other people ride other trails on the Sunday (maybe Marin or local natural loop), or don't ride at all. It's up to you - none of this is set in stone. Those that have time / inclination to ride on the Monday will also do so. - Penmachno is a popular choice

There will be beer. There will be bike chat. There will be laughter

Mods will be a bit militant with this thread to keep it on topic, but please do think about joining us. Most people that come will come again

Dates and location:

We are booked in from Friday 24th, departing Monday 27th April at the Glan Aber Hotel, Betws-y-Coed

Prices:

£40 each per person per night in the hotel based on single, double, twin or triple room occupancy
£20 each per person per night in the adjacent bunkhouse
Both rates include full cooked breakfast as usual

5 singles, a double, 7 twins & around 4 for the bunkhouse have been provisionally booked based numbers over the past few years. Previously it has been possible to join for part of the weekend for those that can't manage the entire 4 days

Attendance and transport:

This can and should be arranged via THIS SPREADSHEET rather than in this thread. Banter and fun are allowed - even encouraged - but are better off in a separate thread to keep this one clear for logistics

And finally some thoughts from our oldest and wisest member:

Sketchy has not had the take up on the new site from some of the old hands that might have been hoped for... the wheel turns. (29er wheel for the win). This trip might be a great way to draw some of 'the missing' back in, so why not pop a text or two out and see if we can lure them back. If you are a relatively new member or just haven't met many Sketchyites then this trip is a great way to get to know us.

Worried about not being fit enough or gnar enough... well don't, we have one big ride together, then split into ability groups and then all meet up for food and beers.

Still worried... great, use it as a focal point to work towards, many Sketchyites see this trip as the kick start they need to come out of hibernation and train towards it.... some even achieving the dizzying heights of mediocrity.
My vehicle is (crazy) full & I am happy to sort our deposits for everyone I am transporting...

I am also happy to pay deposits for anyone that has populated the spreadsheet with requirements & transferred £10 deposit to me by the end of February.

Please message me for bank account details!

Daisyvan will be heading to the usual:

Friday: Llangdegla
Saturday: Coed-y-Brenin
Sunday: Antur Stiniog uplift
Monday: Revolution / Penmachno
Who do we pay the deposit to if its not going through Daisy?
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Absolutely gutted I missed the natural loop people did a couple of years ago on the Sunday.

Can we get a group together for something like that. If not I'll happily do Marin and Penmachno.
That ride was great, I'd definitely be up for doing it again.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
stayhigh65 Wrote:Who do we pay the deposit to if its not going through Daisy?

I think Daisy was saying she would pay for anyone entered on the spreadsheet and transfered her the money so she can pay a lump rather then everyone individually paying. In previuos year people have said they would come but not paid deposts causing some to be out of pocket which is not fair on the individual who organises it..
BennyP Wrote:Absolutely gutted I missed the natural loop people did a couple of years ago on the Sunday.

Can we get a group together for something like that. If not I'll happily do Marin and Penmachno.
Funds will be tight so i'd be up for that instead of Antur. Would be annoying if it's sunny and no wind though!

I have space in my car for 1, possibly 2 if a cirtain forum administrator can't come.
I'd be up for the natural loop on the sunday rather than antur too Big Grin
Bum, just seen the date is confirmed for 24-27 and I already have something planned for that weekend that I can't shift Sad . Gutted I'm not going to be able to make it this year :evil:
Apoliges i have had to pull out of the trip, with planning on moving out this year mony is going to be abit tight, i might be able to get up there for a day so depending where people go i could meet up with you guys.
Alpinerider26 Doesnt work when you dont ride an Alpine

R.I.P alpine 160