This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What rear Cassette??
which is better??

Sram PG-990 Cassette 11-34T  

Or

SHIMANO M770 XT CASSETTE 11-34T  

which do you run? if you have run both brands which was best?

Currently i run the XT one..
Surely you would want a SRAM one with a red lock ring to go with your rear mech ?  Big Grin
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Surely you would want a SRAM one with a red lock ring to go with your rear mech ?  Big Grin

Funny you should say that i was looking at this one to match Smile
The sram 990 is a quality cassette, have had it on my bike for about 18 months now and its still good to go.  I've not had an XT so I cant directly compare the two but would have no worries about buying another.

And you can colour co-ordinate now too lol Wink
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
I've run both and i prefered the Sram. I've always preferred Sram over Shimano, the shifting just seems to be a lot smoother, and they last longer. The XT seems to be made of cheese. I really don't know why i got a Shimano SLX last time Undecided

This one is cheaper.

Holy crap, just seen the price of the XX :o
I hate Shimano on principle, big company thing etc but my bike came riddled with the stuff and it works, probably no difference between the top end so get which one you prefer. Mine came with an SLX which I swapped to my spare XT (off my old Turner) when I changed my chain, saved 100g which I was quite shocked at. I will probably buy the Sram next time simply because my bike has red anodized bits on heh. I run a 11-27 SLX (I think) on the Dmr
Have a look at the SRAM PG980 thats more akin to the Shimano XT & considerably cheaper than the PG990. Also do do you really want the 34T ?
i've run both, currently on the xt m770. In terms of shifting performance they are both pretty similar. No signs of wear, nor did my sram to be honest and i still have that in my draw as a spare. The xt is lighter i believe. Basically just pick the brand you like the most!
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Have a look at the SRAM PG980 thats more akin to the Shimano XT & considerably cheaper than the PG990. Also do do you really want the 34T ?
Chain reaction wrongly delivered me a 32 instead of a 34 which i had to run in Afan, and it made a massive difference as i wasn't happy on any of the big hills, and was yelling "f**king chain reaction" most of the way up, much to everyone else's annoyance :Smile
I have never used the 34t on the Zesty and never on the Whyte and only a very few times in my biking career....in fact i don't even know if it is a 34t on either... if not then i have never used the 32t!!    you guys do know that you use the small 22t on the front if it gets steep??     by dropping down you can get a closer ratios across the range of the block which is better for overall riding...
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />