This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magicshine P7 (MJ-808) Light
The new light has arrived. And I am impressed thus far.

It looks suprisingly well made, although im not technical enough to open it up. The first couple of batches of these were a bit shoddy but this is more recent and was purchased through Geoman in the US and thus should be reliable.

The light itself is a single P7 LED sitting within a machined aluminium casing. It is similar to the Hope 2 in some ways. Similar size, same type of switch.

resim

The light has 5 modes. High (900 Lumens), Medium (500 Lumens), Low (200 Lumens), Flash and SOS. Internet sources suggest that the actual Lumens are a lot lower than claimed.

The light attaches to the bars with an O ring. This seem ingenious to me as it is so simple. However a trail test is needed to be sure. In summary, the O ring hooks on the bottom of the light, is stretched around the bars and then hooks back onto the light. It certainly seems very secure.

resim

The light comes with a battery pack consisting of 4 x 18650 lithium ion cells. Voltage input is 8.4v max. The battery pack comes with a canvas wrap which appears to be waterproof, but I suspect water would ingress between the edges of the wrap. The lead is long enough for the battery to be attached to the seat end of the top tube. One thing that isnt included is a strap for attaching the battery pack, but the wrap does have two plastic hoops. Some sort of velcro strap or some zip ties would do the job.

resim resim

The light has an LED behind the switch, which glows green when adequately charged. It glows red when a charge is required so I assume it cuts in when the battery charge drops below a certain level.

resim

I have only used the lights inside but my first impression is that the Magicshine has a more powerful beam than the Hope 2, although not as much as is claimed. I would estimate it is around 10% more powerful but is seems to have a better flood. The Magicshine beam is whiter and harder than that of the Hope. These pictures arent great but at least show that the Magicshine is a serious bit of kit.

Magicshine (High)
resim

Hope Vision 2 (High)
resim

Comparison of Size with Hope 2
resim

I paid US$85 for this light as per the attached link. My parents brought it back to blighty for me so no transit cost.
http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main...00u1nbc511

It is however available direct from China (Deal Extreme maybe) for around UK£60, and a UK company has started selling them under their own name for £150 including a UK charger and a 12 month warranty. MBUK gave this UK version 8/10 in their current light test.

Feel free to fire questions at me. Getting this light has been the highlight of my day.
That's great news Blackers, esp for that price mate!
I might even get one o them for the wife's bike (maybe even grab it for a bar light when not in use ;D)

Looks well made, pretty solid & witha simple/effective mount.
Nice living room. Liking the flooring and beams on the ceiling, but not sure about the curtains though.

Oh and the light looks pretty good too Wink  And good review. Absolute bargain at £60. If i didn't already have the Stella for my helmet i would definitely have one of them. Has anywhere measured the true output, as it is widely know that 900 lumens is a little optimistic.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Nice living room. Liking the flooring and beams on the ceiling, but not sure about the curtains though.

Oh and the light looks pretty good too Wink  And good review. Absolute bargain at £60. If i didn't already have the Stella for my helmet i would definitely have one of them. Has anywhere measured the true output, as it is widely know that 900 lumens is a little optimistic.
Thanks. You would have ripped the piss if the camera had shown the other end of the living room!
Ive read that the true output is more like 700. Maybe a little less if the Hope 2 is 540. The flood is what impresses me though. Much better than the Hope.
"Blackers" Wrote:Thanks. You would have ripped the piss if the camera had shown the other end of the living room!
Ive read that the true output is more like 700. Maybe a little less if the Hope 2 is 540. The flood is what impresses me though. Much better than the Hope.
I thought the Hope 2 was 480 lumens.

I wanna see the other end of the room now Wink

Just noticed the cleaning products stacked neatly next to the sofa. Did you put them there on purpose just to prove that you are domesticated? Wink
This could be my new helmet light... will have a look in the flesh...   i assumed they were your drugs...  
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:This could be my new helmet light... will have a look in the flesh...   i assumed they were your drugs...  

It doesnt come with a helmet mount  but i am sure the o ring would work. There are some concerns as to the lights reliability but at £50 a pop id be tempted to buy 2 and have a backup.
Run time is over 3 hours on high by the way.
And those tubs are american bottles of calcium, magnesium and vit d sent back by my sister. Supplements are cheap in the US!
&quot;Blackers&quot; Wrote:It doesnt come with a helmet mount  but i am sure the o ring would work. There are some concerns as to the lights reliability but at £50 a pop id be tempted to buy 2 and have a backup.
Run time is over 3 hours on high by the way.
And those tubs are american bottles of calcium, magnesium and vit d sent back by my sister. Supplements are cheap in the US!

There is a site now which do the helmet mounts and also extra battery packs and longer cables. Ive just got back from my first ride with my magic shine and im well impressed, had a magicshine on the bars and

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14443

on my helmet.

Well pleased with the setup, cant say id ever want any more light, bought both with 6 battery cells, charger, adaptor and rear light all for £90, bargain.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main...ex&cPath=4 (link for the helmet mount)
Si, where did you buy yours from? This light seems exactly what I'm after, budget restraints :'(
How long did it take to arrive? I'm on holiday now until next Wednesday so won't be riding but when I'm back could I have a look at it please?
Great review by the way Blackers, cheers!!