This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On-One 456 Build Up Advice And Questions
Ok well i thought il'd be nice and tidy with 1 thread for all my questions !

I have an On-One 456 frame in Blue ... Looking to build it up and need everything apart from Wheels

I now have a few questions ...

Looking at this headset from superstar and also the lock on grips there ... Any thoughts on these ?

Brakes im looking at getting some Avid Juicy 5's ... Any problems ?

Forks im undecided on ... I would love to have something like the 55ATA2's but obviously if i can pick up some Pikes at a good price i think 140mm would suffice !

Gearing will be taken care of with SRAM X7 front + rear mechs and shifters ... With a SLX double and bash taking care of the crankset

Any thoughts on this spec ? Anything that rings alarm bells in your head ?
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Looking at this headset from superstar and also the lock on grips there ... Any thoughts on these ?

Do you know for a fact that the SS Headset is compatible with your frame? - I had a total nightmare getting the right headset for my Trance - I hope you dont have the same problems.

As far a grips go, get them, theyre lockon (im now a convert) and a great price - was looking at getting a set for my next build from there too.

Brakes : Why 5's? - the 3's are just as good and the current Merlin price is great.  Saying that though - the 2010 Elixir 5's in white look bling! and good price at £135.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Do you know for a fact that the SS Headset is compatible with your frame? - I had a total nightmare getting the right headset for my Trance - I hope you dont have the same problems.

As far a grips go, get them, theyre lockon (im now a convert) and a great price - was looking at getting a set for my next build from there too.

Brakes : Why 5's? - the 3's are just as good and the current Merlin price is great.  Saying that though - the 2010 Elixir 5's in white look bling! and good price at £135.

Looks to be the right fit ... Cant find anything on On-Ones website about it though ! Maybe Treehugger and/or Breezer could shed some light on this !

Avid 5's as i read reviews that 3's will struggle to stop a fairly heavy rider ? And at 14 stone i wouldnt call myself light weight  :B

Will need to wait another 4 weeks to be able to afford brakes ! So im guessing the Elixir's will of either sold out or gone off offer !
Juicy 5's in white here for £140...http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-b...white.html

But Elixirs are better as I understand it and are slightly cheaper. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-b...r-set.html

And I would say white brakes are only going to look good with white forks.

And I still reckon Revs are worth serious consideration. At the least you will save around 1lb in weight. Are you still looking to go for a maxle?
Blue and White would be a proper Smurf mobile - MrSmurf will want it for sure...

I think the Elxirs are nice, and a fiver less than the 5's - Man Maths = Almost a set of SS Lockons paid for.
"Blackers" Wrote:Juicy 5's in white here for £140...http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-b...white.html

But Elixirs are better as I understand it and are slightly cheaper. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-b...r-set.html

And I would say white brakes are only going to look good with white forks.

And I still reckon Revs are worth serious consideration. At the least you will save around 1lb in weight. Are you still looking to go for a maxle?

Thanks alot for those links blackers ! Hopefully they are around in 4 weeks time and ill nab a set of Elixir's

Yep still looking to for a maxle as i would like the extra stiffness !
Best deal on Revs with a Maxle I can find is the 426 Dual Air 2009 140mm in white for £330 ish...

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028439/Rock...pid1028439

Cheaper and much Lighter than the Zocchi will be and at 140mm they sit right in the middle of the Zocchis travel range.
"Blackers" Wrote:Best deal on Revs with a Maxle I can find is the 426 Dual Air 2009 140mm in white for £330 ish...

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028439/Rock...pid1028439

Cheaper and much Lighter than the Zocchi will be and at 140mm they sit right in the middle of the Zocchis travel range.

That sounds like just the job ...Thanks ! Will add these to the link document i have and hope its stll around after christmas !

Expected to finish this bike around january ... Should be ordering the last bits at the end of december !
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Looks to be the right fit ... Cant find anything on On-Ones website about it though ! Maybe Treehugger and/or Breezer could shed some light on this !

Avid 5's as i read reviews that 3's will struggle to stop a fairly heavy rider ? And at 14 stone i wouldnt call myself light weight  :B

Will need to wait another 4 weeks to be able to afford brakes ! So im guessing the Elixir's will of either sold out or gone off offer !
Nope that's a semi integrated headset, so won't fit. You need an external one like the Airozine.

Juicy 3's are the same as Juicy 5's, just the 3's don't have the split lever clamp and the caliper body is slightly different. In terms of performance they are identical. I would suggest getting a 203 front rotor, 185 rear. You could get away with 160 on the rear but if you tend to drag your brakes on long fast DH's the 160's tend to warp.  If you can afford the Elixir's i would get them, as they are even more powerful plus it's a lot easier to change the pads. They also seem to have cured the spongy lever issue which is what most people complained about with the 5's. Nick's Elixir's definitely feel much better than mine.
To quote a song "My finger is on the button" Big Grin Im awfully tempted and could just about justify getting them this month   Undecided Just waiting for one last call before i press  Undecided