This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ankle Problems
Hi Guys, haven't been along for a ride in a few weeks, due to various different reasons, fitting new wood flooring at present, just finished the flooring and now moved onto cutting and fitting new skirting.

However, one problem i've had now off and on for a couple of months is with my ankle.

I know you're not doctors, but i've seen my doc and he says this is strange......and has referred me to a physio (think he thinks i'm pulling his leg....).

A couple of months ago my ankle started locking up and really really hurting, a really sharp pain around the ankle joint and a feeling of locking, and it would feel like my foot neads a really good click.

It lasted for a couple of hours, and then just went away as quickly as it started.

This has been repeating itself for a couple of months now, and i was walking my dog a few weeks ago and my foot went down a hole in the ground and twisted slightly, didn't really hurt then, but about an hour afterwards, i was sitting on the couch, went to get up and bang, the ankle locked again, couldn't move it, and the pain was back again.

On Monday morning this week, i had been asleep all night, then at 05:30 i was woken up by really severe pain whilst attempting to turn over in bed, i couldn't move my body as was in so much pain, i ended up sitting up in bed and just trying my hardest to get out of bed to try and warm it up and stop the pain, but couldn't move, i just had to sit there for about 10 minutes, then all of a sudden two loud 'cracks' and my Mrs said to me was that your foot?  YES!

After the 10 minutes it had gone away and was find for the whole day?

Any ideas guys?

Don't know if its anything to do with my mountain bike, as don't know if any of you recall, however i ride on flat pedals and my right foot is on its right hand side when i pedal.......wondering if it has anything to do with this?

Haven't been out on the bike since Sunday and 'knock on wood' i haven't experienced any problems with it since Monday....  
Cartlidge (sp?) tear maybe. Sounds like a more extreme version of my knee problem a few years back.

Did the doc mention an xray or scan? physio seems a strange course of treatment given the symptoms you describe.
Certainly sounds cartilage-like, MrsBoy has recently torn all the ligaments in her foot - that ballooned - you dont mention that, so Im assuming its not ligament based.

The locking, cracking you describe is definitly joint related - I think the only option is a scan/xray to determine any damage.

Physio may do more harm than good if theyre going to keep it mobile!

You say you cycle with your right foot on its right side - as in you are pedalling with the side of your foot?, or flat, but way out on the outside of the pedal?

This may certainly be related, as the rotation the foot goes through in a pedal stroke would not really be inline for your normal ankle's intentions.

May sound an odd suggestion, but perhaps get a cheap SPD setup to force your feet into a correct position (when you're given the all clear to excercise)
Have you previously broken that ankle and maybe got some bone chips floating around in there? Only a scan will tell for sure. If you use the Snodland surgery like me they are probably too tight to send you for a scan as it might cost them some of their patient budget  >Sad
One of my best mates is a bloody good physio, so I've emailed her your description & will let you know what she thinks Smile
"BMJBOY" Wrote:May sound an odd suggestion, but perhaps get a cheap SPD setup to force your feet into a correct position (when you're given the all clear to excercise)

Goog idea Ben, I normally walk a bit like a Penguin (you may have noticed :B) with my feet sticking out mainly as I have a badly collapsed arch in my right foot. i used to get a reall sore anke if I walked on it all day and could never jog as it used to ballon up. I also ride like that with flats, but with SDPs it forces my right foot reasonably straight and I think that has improved and strengthened my ankle as I get less problems with it now
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:so I've emailed her your description & will let you know what she thinks Smile

What like

"Stocky build, shifty looking, dont trust near sheep" etc?

A scan/xray is the only way to know for sure I reckon.

But cycling with your foot at an extreme angle is also asking for trouble too.

Get some answers and recovery sorted, and look for some cheap spds to line you up properly.
"Abzz" Wrote:Goog idea Ben, I normally walk a bit like a Penguin (you may have noticed :B) with my feet sticking out mainly as I have a badly collapsed arch in my right foot. i used to get a reall sore anke if I walked on it all day and could never jog as it used to ballon up. I also ride like that with flats, but with SDPs it forces my right foot reasonably straight and I think that has improved and strengthened my ankle as I get less problems with it now

Time pedals will give you more tollerence on the knee & are a better pedal for around BBH IMHO, as they don't suffer from getting sticky mud & small stones in the release mechanism.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Time pedals will give you more tollerence on the knee & are a better pedal for around BBH IMHO, as they don't suffer from getting sticky mud & small stones in the release mechanism.

A proper pain with Shimano spds - I get that a lot.  Was looking at egg-beaters recently - wouldnt mind giving them a bash.
I wouldnt. I had some and despite having more free float than my Times where its mainly sprung, they gave my knees right greif even when set in the right position and I did try altering a few times so I sold them and went back to my old times and knee issues went away instantly.

I have a very weak right ankle, it aches a lot and always seems to get hit when I crash  but thats probably just because of its weakness over the years