This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheels - lightweight & strong
Ok, having sussed that my wheelset is chuffin heavy, I'd like a replacement set.
I can't spend a huge amount (£100-150) and prolly happy with a decent S/H set from ebay, would like UST compliant but not fussed...

Currently have: Bontrager Select front hub, M525-L rear hub; Bontrager SSR rims - stock on the Trek 8000.

Requirement: Lighter wheelset, preferably disc only & quite strong as I'm not the smoothest of riders...

Possible options; (good suggestions welcome, I'm ignorant!)
Rims: Mavic 717 fit the bill? What else to keep an eye out for?
Hubs: Hope 2 or 3, Deore XT? What else is worth a look?

Hows about Mavic Crossride ?? New from ChainReactions @ £135 - but are they any good ??
This was discussed in depth some time ago when myself and Legless wanted wheels at the same time.

717's fitted the bill, but famously narrow and the consensus was that they are weak.

We BOTH opted for DT Swiss 4.2 rims on XT Hubs. If I recall, they are the same weight as the 717's, are a touch wider and are stronger.

These come in a shade over £150 from Merlin and are bullet proof.

They hauled and where subject to my fat 'arris around Afan and never missed a beat.  They are NOT tubeless ready though.

You maybe better off going the SH route like Steve did for some bling Hope Pro2's etc.

A lighter wheelset transforms a bike and is a very worth upgrade for any bike - you'll be amazed.
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Ok, having sussed that my wheelset is chuffin heavy, I'd like a replacement set.
I can't spend a huge amount (£100-150) and prolly happy with a decent S/H set from ebay, would like UST compliant but not fussed...

Currently have: Bontrager Select front hub, M525-L rear hub; Bontrager SSR rims - stock on the Trek 8000.

Requirement: Lighter wheelset, preferably disc only & quite strong as I'm not the smoothest of riders...

Possible options; (good suggestions welcome, I'm ignorant!)
Rims: Mavic 717 fit the bill? What else to keep an eye out for?
Hubs: Hope 2 or 3, Deore XT? What else is worth a look?

Hows about Mavic Crossride ?? New from ChainReactions @ £135 - but are they any good ??

Just give me your wheels and £100... I'lll give them back lighter Undecided
Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay

Got my pro 2 / WTB Speed disc AM's for £160 ! Bargain
Get your wheels on the scales. I thought my wheels that came on the boardman might be a weight saving oppurtunity until i weighed them..they are very light! Your bike is only 24lb anyway (i think?) so i would guess the wheels arent too heavy in the grand scheme of things.

Those mavics are around 2000g. The new Deore are 2000g also and they are ust too.
Correction : new Deore are tubeless ready.
Thanks Ben and Steve, useful advice for sure! I'll keep checking ebay anyhoo, and the DT/XT combo sounds good.

MudMonkey; Please explain further !!

"Blackers" Wrote:Get your wheels on the scales. I thought my wheels that came on the boardman might be a weight saving oppurtunity until i weighed them..they are very light! Your bike is only 24lb anyway (i think?) so i would guess the wheels arent too heavy in the grand scheme of things.
That's a totally fair point mate, will try n weight them later - just don't tell the wife I used the kitchen scales though Big Grin

I think they're heavy as I've had lighter bikes in past and handled lighter wheels, these feel pretty damn heavy to me.
Yup my bike's only 24lb c/w pedals, but if the wheels are heavy that's something I can easily improve! However I will check n see...

On that note; When weighing, any idea approx how much to allow for cassette & disk?
All different....my XT cassette is something like 300g, SLX one was 400 so nearly 1/4lb more, rotor I donno, 100g? wonder if I have my spreadsheet with me...

Here we are although dont have the slx cassette but it was 400ish

XT M770 11-34 302g
Hope 183mm Saw Rotor 6 bolt style 153g
6 rotor bolts (lol) 12g
For reference my XT 778 wheels are quoted as 1702g for the pair but I have the following in my spreadsheet

Front inc 183mm Formula rotor 975g
Rear inc 160mm Formula rotor and cassette (slx iirc) 1468g

Some more

Halo Freedom rear wheel with 160mm hope rotor and 11-27 slx cassette 1655g

Front Mavic XM819 UST with a Hope Pro 2, no rotor 913g (fair bit heavier than xt front wheel when you add on rotor!)

PS: 1 scoop of stans sealant is 58g

Off to get my coat
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:I think they're heavy as I've had lighter bikes in past and handled lighter wheels, these feel pretty damn heavy to me.
Yup my bike's only 24lb c/w pedals, but if the wheels are heavy that's something I can easily improve! However I will check n see...

At 24lbs there isnt much scope for heavy wheels. Im building up this Lapierre hardtail and struggling to get it under 25lbs. Its a pretty light frame, has XT717 wheels, light tyres, SLX transmission, XT dual control brakes and no obvious heavy finishing kit.

Based on that I would guess your existing wheels are around 2kg. For Trek to put together a 24lb hardtail I would think wheels were top of their list of weight saving priorities.