This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV's ?
So the step dad is looking for a new TV on his yearly after christmas splurge

He wants something around 42inch ... So what are the technical things to look out for ? Refresh rates etc ?

Thanks in advance guys !

Steve
I looked into it long & hard & just bought the panasonic 42v10.  Freesat hd built in , 600hz refresh & THX cinema mode for movies etc.

£1100
Size is important to how far you sit away from the screen, theres a calculator somewhere to work it out. Its all about your Peripheral vision to truley benfit the HD resolution, ive got a dolby book here that would bore the crap out of you about it.

Resolution, you could go for a 1080p tv to watch the films. No HD transmissions we do here are 1080p, its all 1080i. Thats major contracts like ETP Golf, UCL Footie matches, prem league matches we do other HD stuff but i cant remember what they are but its all 1080i. I think all the films on SKY are 1080p, most of the sport on Sky is 1080i.

Refresh, 50hz, 100hz, 200hz, is only important if you watch fast moving sports, the genral punter wouldnt notice the difference.

A good contrast ratio, this is basically the level difference between the black level (blacks) and highest lumiance level (white). A good tv will have a high contrast level basically.

You can then go into if you want Freesat built in, Dolby E etc

Also may want to looking into how many HDMI inputs, scart inputs the tv has to meet your requirements.

Its best to go view them, as at the end of the day one tv picture looks good to one person but crap to another, its all personal preference.
Just bought a 42" LCD. It's an lg lh5000 for £699 from currys. Bloody brilliant!  200htz refresh rate, full 1080p HD
"Buzz" Wrote:Size is important to how far you sit away from the screen, theres a calculator somewhere to work it out. Its all about your Peripheral vision to truley benfit the HD resolution, ive got a dolby book here that would bore the crap out of you about it.

Resolution, you could go for a 1080p tv to watch the films. No HD transmissions we do here are 1080p, its all 1080i. Thats major contracts like ETP Golf, UCL Footie matches, prem league matches we do other HD stuff but i cant remember what they are but its all 1080i. I think all the films on SKY are 1080p, most of the sport on Sky is 1080i.

Refresh, 50hz, 100hz, 200hz, is only important if you watch fast moving sports, the genral punter wouldnt notice the difference.

A good contrast ratio, this is basically the level difference between the black level (blacks) and highest lumiance level (white). A good tv will have a high contrast level basically.

You can then go into if you want Freesat built in, Dolby E etc

Also may want to looking into how many HDMI inputs, scart inputs the tv has to meet your requirements.

Its best to go view them, as at the end of the day one tv picture looks good to one person but crap to another, its all personal preference.

Thanks alot russ thats of great help !  Gives him a bit of reading to do before hand and some sort of idea when he goes into shops !
Reading don't mean jack, you need to compare in store. A "higher specced" panasonic looked awful compared to our tv with the same input feed
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Reading don't mean jack, you need to compare in store. A "higher specced" panasonic looked awful compared to our tv with the same input feed

I understand that ... but it helps to have some idea of what he does and doesnt need before going in to have a look Big Grin
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Reading don't mean jack, you need to compare in store. A "higher specced" panasonic looked awful compared to our tv with the same input feed

Yup but i bet another person would come along and say yours looks crap compared to the pansonic, its actually a pretty personal thing what looks good to the eye.
What helped us in currys was a led tv, LCD, and plasma all hooked to HD in currys. He paused a footy game and we compared clarity of the shot of a player.

Plasma was awful for footy, not very crisp, led was good but not quite "right" LCD was good, clean and crisp.

We chose the 200htz tv as we watch a lot of sport and a faster speed is better to avoid motion blur.

IMHO you can't go wrong with an lg or samsung LCD tv. Some of the high end panasonics are great, but twice the price.
Plasma would give a more softer natural picture which some people prefer, LCDs can be known to be to harsh.