This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Maintenance and cleaning
Ok, so i have an admission to make. The last time I rode was on the 24th October 2009! That's a bad enough admission in itself but there is worse to come......... it was a very very wet day and muddy day. It was also a very long a tiring ride. When I got home i threw the bike in the shed and have not gone near it since. I dread to think what damage I have done to it.

I'm going to get it out this weekend and clean it up. What should I expect to see and how should I approach the cleaning? What should I use?

Let the slating begin!

Ash :B
Chain will be awful - get some chain cleaner, or even white spirit etc and give it a damn good clean and lube.

Check brakes etc, test suspension - give the bike and overall damn good clean.

Other than the drivetrain, not much to go awfully wrong tbh.

We're all guilty at one point or the other - Ive just had to revive an orange chain after not touching bike since Swinley.
"mashley" Wrote:Ok, so i have an admission to make. The last time I rode was on the 24th October 2009! That's a bad enough admission in itself but there is worse to come......... it was a very very wet day and muddy day. It was also a very long a tiring ride. When I got home i threw the bike in the shed and have not gone near it since. I dread to think what damage I have done to it.

I'm going to get it out this weekend and clean it up. What should I expect to see and how should I approach the cleaning? What should I use?

Let the slating begin!

Ash :B

A jet wash, a really powerful one to get rid of all that grease hiding in those bearings   Smile
Apply Muc off etc (Optional)
Spray with garden hose and brush down
Clean chain using degreaser (i use fairy !)
Scrape crap from jockey wheels
Wash off chain
Gt85 chain to get rid of water
Lube chain and little dab on jocky wheels (the inner bit)

Go for a ride !
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:A jet wash, a really powerful one to get rid of all that grease hiding in those bearings   Smile

I assume this is sarcasm!

I'll have a garden hose and outside tap to use. I don't have any specific bike cleaning stuff so it'll be fairy liquid and hot water to wash it down.
"mashley" Wrote:I assume this is sarcasm!

I'll have a garden hose and outside tap to use. I don't have any specific bike cleaning stuff so it'll be fairy liquid and hot water to wash it down.

Thats all you need !

Ive even got some chain lube if you need it (Only the finest quality Finish line wet lube!)
"mashley" Wrote:I assume this is sarcasm!

Itll do - but you do need lube.  (not prison talk)
Steve,

They call it washing up liquid because it's for washing up with. Wink

Washing up liquid is full of nastiness that you don't want many places on your bike.
To start with your using a cleaner that contains salt on something made of steel.
I hope that's a bloody good wash off it gets...........
"Tinc" Wrote:Steve,

They call it washing up liquid because it's for washing up with. Wink

Washing up liquid is full of nastiness that you don't want many places on your bike.
To start with your using a cleaner that contains salt on something made of steel.
I hope that's a bloody good wash off it gets...........

I have a woman in the house for washing up ?!?

Slowly spin the cranks back ... Sit there for around 2 mins with the hose aimed at it
Go back in time and clean the drivetrain after the ride as it will be rusted to fck now