This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh B*ll*x!
Mum - "I'll pick you up from work"
Me - Yeah ok, park outside the car park on the road.
mum "Ok"

I come out, she's in the car park... No bother. Put the bike on the roof rack, procced around car park. Exit car park...

BANG!

Bikes on the floor, pretty much trashed
Roof racks bent to sh!t and the nice WHITE height restriction bar is happily wobbling around.

I don't mind so much, but the impact point was square on the crown race? top (The black bit which joins the 2 stanchions?. It knocked my remote lock out bit clean off, put a nice mark on top of the crown, dented a cable and made a nice mess of the front of the frame. And some reason the gearing is a little 'off' now.

If the bar was painted Yellow like it is on the outside there effectively would of been no excuse. But I've been up since 2am on fack all sleep and my mum was yabbering away so it's fair to neither of us are with it.

Feels ok from first 'checks', ie, forks not loose but I've not properly looked yet. What's the chances, of my forks being fooked? Based on that the very top of them is the bit that hit the bar first, even got the yellow paint from the underside of the bar to prove it.

Next stop, an 'advisement note' to work that it perhaps wouldn't hurt NOT to have a height restriction bar painted white, where the background to it is a lovely blue sky, unless obviously the sky is grey
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Oh Man - that really sucks balls !!
Hope it survived & ain't really damaged Jon Sad
Shit man, this your GT?

Hope things aren't too badly damaged.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Oops, bummer. Hope most of it can be recovered.
Nope, the inbred. Not even had a proper ride on it yet
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Holy crap, thats a right old sh**er. Hope its recoverable matey.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
:B Oops!

How was the bike secured to the rack?
By the wheels or frame?
The fact that the rack is "bent to sh1t" is gonna work in your favour, but it'll want a good check over.

The bit that took the impact is the fork crown & they are pretty tough in them selves.  It's much easier to bend a fork leg with an impact low down & you won't have bent the steerer as it's supported by the headset top & bottom.  My money says it'll be OK, but again needs checking!

Between BB clearance issues & driving "issues" this bikes gonna be trashed before you get to crash it! Sad
Oh Borrox indeed mate!
You are not the first and wont be the last, shame it had to be your "good" bike.
I guess if its still straight it will be OK, just reduced its S/H value a fair bit. Sad
It was secured by these type of straps:
resim
- Around the wheels.
Both of them have snapped on the strap. As with all other rook racks it was clamped around the downtube but that seems fine.

The cross racks which hold the bit the bike sits on have moved a fair bit, the front one is now about 7" back and now wonky across the roof and the back one has moved about 3"
Although the speed was slow it came down with a pretty enormous crash, and due to the straps snapping, gate wobbling for a fair while how it's bent the rack would leave the best of us to believe it was a considerable impact, on a very little area.
From the description any fork damage would be the fork legs bending forward immediately below the crown.  Look at the general angle of the forks, does it look normal?  You should also look for wrinkles or ceases in the coating of the fork stanchion between the crown & the leg.  If that all looks good, take the fork out & lay it on a flat surface.  Hold the steerer horizontally flat & look at the rest of the fork.  The centreline of the stanchion & leg should be parallel to the centreline of the steerer.

There are more technical ways of course, but the above should give you an idea if them forks be fooked!

As for the fame head tube - If it's round & not obviously cracked it's then it should be fine.  I'd expect the frame to be fine TBH.