This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite descents
What are your favourite descents,here's three of mine
1)Newington,near Folkestone.Part of the North Downs Way from Bridleway near Shearins Bungalow(173 meters height) to Coombe Wood by dismantled Elham Valley railway(approx 70 meters).Height loss of 100 meters in less than 500meters.Just look at those contours on Explorer 138.Could be the steepest descent in Kent.
2)BBH to Nashenden Farm following the North Downs Way.
3)Round Down,Dover cliffs.Another steep one with a climb up to Shakespeare cliff and then another descent.Great views on a good day as well.
Only 2 descents that have really made me tingle inside :

Windy Point on the Whites trail in afan
Hidden Valley on the penhydd trail in afan
Sidewinder at afan, not overly technical, but total balls out fast fun.  Made especially fun in a convoy like we did a few months ago.
Sorry I meant in Kent or East Sussex.Stuff we ride regularly.
In the South its Barry Knows Best.
over all....its got to be Innerleithen red run.
+1 for bkb, need to get over there to sample the new layout
Can't remember what the trail is called but it's one in Survey hills which starts out steep and twists and ends with some big rooty drops and a really steep roll in onto a fire road. Fuss, its the one where I got my Treehugger name from, because I once ended up richosheying(sp) of a couple id trees and grabbing on to one to atop myself falling about 4' onto the fireroad, and Buzz pronounced hence forth that I am now known as Treeehugger Big Grin Most of my favorite decents are ones I have previously struggled on but can now ride with no problems... there are quite a few round Surrey hills and that will always be one of my favorite places to ride.
The Green Lane near Rotherfield
BKB for sure.
And in terms of my own neck of the woods...
Seal chart to Wildernesse Golf Course near Sevenoaks. Fast, rutted, rocky.
And a new one I found at Mereworth. Starts straight and wide before narrowing into sweeping bends before a tight switchback into a steep technical descent to the finish. A quality 90 seconds.
Mereworth has a couple of longer ones too whcih are rather tasty. All will be deomstrated when I organise my long overdue tour.
Weirdly I dont think too much of the BBH descents.
Favourite track in Kent is my little singletrack...  known on here as a short technical climb when done backwards...   10 years riding it and i still enjoy it and rarely pin it properly...

Uk its the whole drop of Minch Moor at Innerleithen

Alps its a tie between Swiss DH course at Crossets near Morzine and Hans Blitz at Les Arcs, a 3 hours super techy rocky descent that would be a scamble or climb in places if coming up...
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />