This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halfords Heart Rate Monitor
I bought one of these yesterday as I have read that using a heart rate monitor is the most effective way to train. It only cost £25 and you get so much for your money. It's comfortable to wear (in fact you hardly notice it), easy to use, well made and it has some features that you only find on HRM that are twice the price. The only thing that isn't to good it the instructions, they are a bit useless. I went for a ride yesterday on the road bike to test it out and covered 35 miles in zone 2, which for those of you that don't know, is the base training zone. Today I feel fresh and ready for more so hopefully soon I will see some results. I definitely recommend getting one if you are serious about getting fit.
I have one from Decathlon for when I was marathon training and they are useful for making sure you are pushing yourself to the limit your body need to get to get fit. It also stops you from over training and under performing. Mine was about a tenner I think.  Wink
I like the idea of a heart rate monitor but dont fancy a chest strap.  Can anyone suggest one without that isnt frighteningly expensive?
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
"stayhigh65" Wrote:I like the idea of a heart rate monitor but dont fancy a chest strap.  Can anyone suggest one without that isnt frighteningly expensive?

I got mine from good old Decathlon. It was about 15 quid i think. Works a treat and the chest strap is compatible with all the machines at my gym, despite the fact that the gym claims only expensive Polar HRMs are.

Not sure if there is an alternative to chest straps.
There are watch versions of HRM - Think Mrsboy has one - shes never used it as all the gym machines have them anyway.
Nothing wrong with a chest strap one mate, I forget its even there.
[quote="]Nothing wrong with a chest strap one mate, I forget its even there.[/quote"]

+1.
[quote="]Nothing wrong with a chest strap one mate, I forget its even there.[/quote"]

I have issues with mine, it's a very personal thing, when riding with a camelbak it sometimes comes away from my skin and therefore gives false readings, when riding harder and more bent over it tends to dig in a bit and can cause a bit of cramp... more so now as there's less padding under my skin!
Mine is fine with a camelbak but I only use it for racing, its no worse than a bra