This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike navigation aid
I got a few pennies for Christmas and along with a little bit of money I have saved and my deadpool winnings I'm in the market for a navigation aid and need opinions/advice please.

I guess the obvious choices are: Garmin 305, Garmin 705 and Satmap. Whilst bumbling around tinterweb I stumbled upon this badboy

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/adventurer2800.html">http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/ad ... r2800.html</a><!-- m -->

I'm sure there's prolly a thread for this already, so apologies in advance.

Opinions and advice on the navigation aid please

edit: The link should work now, apologies.
We touched on this on our Xmas ride didnt we.

Edge 305 (I have one) - Cant "Navigate" on it - but you can follow pre-plotted courses from MemoryMap or any other mapping software or Website.  Ive followed many routes found on the net and also followed my own routes created using Memory Map and GoogleMaps.

Edge 705 - Bigger brother to 305 - does everything the same but has crude/simple topo maps in colour.  Not bad for bearings, but not a great deal more over the 305.  Does have better GPS accuracy and lock though.

SatMap - Everything you need, but EFFING expensive.  Currently I dont think anyones either cracked or sourced the maps for it.  Has decent GPS, 1:25k Mapping etc and a proper compass - which is what you need when stationary and "lost" - Garmins dont have this, and you HAVE to be moving to know your true location.

The Memory Map unit - from my initial research looks INCREDIBLY basic and the touch screen with feck you off within 5 mins with gloves on while riding!.  Major bonus is the abundance of maps for it and the good software for the PC (But you can use that with the others anyway)

If I had the money and inclination: SATMAP - (but after a damn good scout around for 1:25k Maps)

Second choice would be the Edge 705 - its data collection is brilliant, but its NOT a mapping GPS.

Your question was : "Opinions and advice on the navigation aid please"

So my answer has to be Satmap - as it has proper OS Maps (at a price) and does what the Garmins do and with a working compass.

I would avoid the Memory Map for sheer pain the ar$e use it must be being touchscreen (muddy glove fingers all over it? - no thanks)

[media width=500]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyt3RFycsE[/media]

The map and directional issues/problems which the old geezer John was having with his Garmin - is very similar to experiencing the 705 - you need to be moving.
Furthering this a little - does ANYONE on here own a Satmap or know someone that does?

Ive just had some "man time" and man maths moments to myself.... perhaps in the market for some gadge myself...

I think I found "Panter" a local rider who frequents BR seems to have one as he cropped up on search results.
As we've discussed else where on here I find the 305 excellent & perfectly adequate. It records all of my ride data & although the course does have to be preplanned to navigate from it I have used it as a form of TomTom type device telling me which way to turn & when. 14 of us made it through 8 hrs of rural France by this method without a single error.
I've not used any other system though so my opinion is somewhat slanted Undecided

Personally I find the idea of serious OS mapping & navigation on a bike mounted computer almost silly. If you do get lost on most rides, just keeping on the way you are going resolves the issue. If I was on a ride that made getting or being lost a major concern (One of the moors or the highlands) then I'do want the reliability of a proper compass & a paper map anyway.  
&quot;Tinc&quot; Wrote:As we've discussed else where on here I find the 305 excellent & perfectly adequate. It records all of my ride data & although the course does have to be preplanned to navigate from it I have used it as a form of TomTom type device telling me which way to turn & when. 14 of

705 works great as recorder and can also use to navigate around history or gpx routes or courses. The free download software OKish. Use Tracklogs (bought one and borrowed a few so can cover Kent 1:25000) and this is great for plotting courses and see distances, climbs gardients etc and seeing/planning alternative routes. Tracklogs can print routes on 1:25000 O/s maps and can take as back up if going somewhere new (can also print off in custom scale and mark way points etc). Tracklogs now has software so load or unload routes direvctly from Garmin (like USB).

with a course/route installed you can also explore  woods and see where you are compared route and hack back to it. 705 has simple maps as view if need to plan ad hoc (got slightly better ones free and loaded on microSD card). did 25-30 mikle loop around Stelling minnis with loads of tricky bits, singletrack and hidden bridleways etc. can turn noise off as soem basic routes offroad have too many turns, backlight and nightime displays for nightrides.
705 has only had route stick a couple of times in 60 rides or so. Takes long routes OK as courses (100 mile reliability trial) and charges pretty quick with 14 hours or so battery life. Got cheap from halfords last year -basic with HRM (not used yet).

mudhound
Sailor owns a satmap ben
I like OS mapping with my windows mobile/memory map setup, I can find woods and trails ive never been to before and plot them into routes or just stumble on them and save markers etc. Did a good ride around Stanmer park and the south downs above Brighton on Sunday. I was glad to know where I was and which way to head as it was blinking cold especially when my friend who should have gone tubeless got a puncture so always handy to know you can escape back at any point.
I've always found a laminated map and a Silva compass good have to know how to use them though.
&quot;Longjon&quot; Wrote:I've always found a laminated map and a Silva compass good have to know how to use them though.

+1. Ive never got lost using a paper map and compass. The only downside is having to stop to look at it, thus I would go Satmap in an instant if it was £50 all in!!
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Furthering this a little - does ANYONE on here own a Satmap or know someone that does?

Ive just had some "man time" and man maths moments to myself.... perhaps in the market for some gadge myself...

I think I found "Panter" a local rider who frequents BR seems to have one as he cropped up on search results.

That's me  ;D

I can't really review it too thoroughly just yet though, I bought it to replace my Garmin Etrex Hcx which I left on the back of the car after a trip to Blean....  :B
I have the unit, but no local maps and haven't even got their route planner software yet as you can only use it online which would've been no good for my recent wales trip as I can't get a phone signal where I stay.

First impessions are good, except for the battery holder assembly which appears to be incredibly flimsy for such an expensive device although I haven't had any problems as yet.
It's incredibly power hungry but I've been running it on my 2700maH Vapex rechargeable batteries (the same ones I use in my Hope lights) and these last several hours even with the backlight on continously which is how I use it so I thoroughly recommend using these as the recommended Lithium batteries are very expensive.

It's easy to use, certainly far easier than the etrex which although packed full of features I never really mastered it as it was just too complex for my feeble brain.

The really good thing about the satmap is the huge screen. I find anything smaller just too awkward when you're trying to follow a track as you're constantly adjusting the scaling which you just don't need to do the satmap.

Anyway. my plan is to subscribe to the online route planner when I scrape some pennies together, which is supposed to be excellent as it gives you the whole of the UK in 1:25,000 to plan routes on from the pc.
Then, I'm going to get the whole of the UK on 1:50,000 on SD card so that I can plot routes on the pc, then make on the fly adjustments on the satmap if needed.

Cheers,

Chris Smile