This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairing My Winter Boots
A dull question I agree, but one of the Sketchy collective should have an answer for me...

My Nike Kato winter boots have a split in the sole from the spd opening. I want to glue them back together but the glue needs to be seriously effective and hard wearing. What would be the best glue?
Duct tape ... Lots of it  ;D
take them to a motorbike body shop and get them plastic welded most glues will just fail
If they have cracked it's because they flex, so you'll need a flexible solution. Leadbasher's idea is good, but will only work if the sole is thermo-plastic & it will also need reinforcing. You'll only know what type of pastic it is by trying to melt it. I think I'd look at making some sort of patch to cover the crack & stick it place with Araldite, but it won't be easy as I doubt it's a just across a flat bit!
I really just need them to stay in shape, as ill be wearing sealkinz. They are just better for winter riding than my racey shoes.
Being the boring man I am, I now know that the inner sole of your Kato's are Nylon which can be welded. ;D
But the outer sole is rubber which may be damaged in the process & the joint between the two may also take a real bashing if a lot of heat was used.

I suspect what's happen is that the inner sole has become weak where the plate sits inside the shoe to accept the cleat bolts.  I douby any kind of fix that doesn't incorporate serious reinforcement wouldn't last long.

As I said previously I think I'd make a plate for the sole,  stick it in place & then attached the cleats through the plate, if you use thin plate it should be fine.  Bang it on with some Araldite or chemical metal & it'll stay put & should be waterproof.  The inner sole appears to have plenty of tread for adhesion. Wink
Hmmm. That all sounds complicated. I was hoping there would be some magic glue which would do the job.

Ill bring it along when i drop the cranks in so you can take a look though. Just in case you spot an easyish solution.

Cheers
"Blackers" Wrote:Hmmm. That all sounds complicated. I was hoping there would be some magic glue which would do the job.

Ill bring it along when i drop the cranks in so you can take a look though. Just in case you spot an easyish solution.
Cheers

Glue alone just isn't gonna do it I'm afraid, not for long anyway.  You might get away with using some mastic or silicone, but that may cause you problems with the SPD's.  For a solution with some longevity you need to create a sandwich to provide some stiffness.
It's not as tricky as it sounds.  I'm sure we could work it into a "bike evening" sometime. Wink
I'll have to see what I've got laying around in the garage.