This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Ride - Sunday 31/01/10
Will be starting road cycling in the mornings again this week as need to get fit and loose some weight for the summer.

Would be great to get a regular Sunday road ride set up on these boards for the rodies amongst us to meet up on a Sunday morning, have a nice ride through the country lanes of Kent, stop off for a beer/lunch etc.,

Who fancies starting off with a gentle 27 mile road ride on Sunday 31/01/10, and then gradually increasing week by week to 55-65 miles by the summer?

Thinking of doing Cuxton Loop via Vigo Hill, starting and finishing in Leybourne Lakes.

Will be roads/country lanes only, no XC as i shall be using my road bike, however any bike welcome.
I'll check the diary (the missus!) and get back to you.

You know the diet will go a lot better without stopping for food and beer!  Wink

Not sure if it wil be a regular thing for me though, as I plan to road ride locally in the mornings before work (but thats not happening at the mo!) and as weather improves MTB at the weekends and when I can during the week too.

MTB is still king with me, although keeping things varied is also crucial.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I'll check the diary (the missus!) and get back to you.

You know the diet will go a lot better without stopping for food and beer!  Wink

Not sure if it wil be a regular thing for me though, as I plan to road ride locally in the mornings before work (but thats not happening at the mo!) and as weather improves MTB at the weekends and when I can during the week too.

MTB is still king with me, although keeping things varied is also crucial.

Thats exactly what i was doing last year and will be starting again this week, 18 mile circuits every morning before work, and then a long one on a Sunday at the weekend.

You'll notice the increase in fitness and a slimmer mid section in no-time.
Soni, i wouldnt mind having a go at this if its OK with you, so pencil me in.

I have a road bike but I am a fair weather road bike rider and would rather get wet on my MTB  :B

"Vigo Hill"  Undecided do you mean Birling Hill at the top of Paddlesworth Rd, that becomes White Horse Road (the road that goes up to Holly Hill that we crossed over on the Pilgrims Way on our Saturday MTB ride)?
Thats a steep bugger to start with  :o

BTW What time do you get out in the the mornings and what is your 17 mile loop?
"Abzz" Wrote:Soni, i wouldnt mind having a go at this if its OK with you, so pencil me in.

I have a road bike but I am a fair weather road bike rider and would rather get wet on my MTB  :B

"Vigo Hill"  Undecided do you mean Birling Hill at the top of Paddlesworth Rd, that becomes White Horse Road (the road that goes up to Holly Hill that we crossed over on the Pilgrims Way on our Saturday MTB ride)?
Thats a steep bugger to start with  :o

BTW What time do you get out in the the mornings and what is your 17 mile loop?

Abzz, I was thinking of meeting in Leybourne Lakes and making out way out towards Cuxton, then at the bottom of the hill.dip where the pub is on the right hand side corner, and the old garage on the left, turn left at that junction and then ride up through that way so that we come back down Vigo Hill....

The route i do in the mornings before work is from my house/St. Benedict Road, up Paddlesworth Lane, turn left at the T-Junction at the top, down through Birling, Ryarsh, up to the T-Junction near Ryarsh Bricks, turn right, up past The George Pub in Trottiscliffe up Taylors Lane, up a 'nice climb' (the bottom part of Vigo Hill), right into Pilgrims Way (is a tarmac lane), right down Pinesfield Lane, right into Church Lane, back accross Taylors Lane, into Wrotham Water Lane, right into Wrotham Water Road, left into Pilgrims Way, and then all the way along to the bottom of Wrotham Hill/London Road/A20, then turn around and come back again.

The reason i come back the same way is to avoid the busy roads.....

Would be great to have a trainer partner out with me in the mornings mate, got a bit lonely last year, did every morning without fail for about 6 months, lost loads of weight and blood pressure plummeted.

Now its time to start it up again!

Problem is, it takes about 1 hr (providing no punctures), and i have to be back home before my Mrs leaves the house for work at 6:45 to look after our children, so normally leave the house about 5:30, is this too early?
If you're starting early on 31st I might join you boys on me hardtail, so that'd be 2 MTB's on the tarmac :o

Early as in 9.30-10am, or earlier would be cool.
Could do with getting some miles in me legs, as I'm doing the L2B this year on the Trek Smile
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:If you're starting early on 31st I might join you boys on me hardtail, so that'd be 2 MTB's on the tarmac :o

Early as in 9.30-10am, or earlier would be cool.
Could do with getting some miles in me legs, as I'm doing the L2B this year on the Trek Smile

Hi Jay, i did the L2B about 10 years back on my old Marin Hardtail, didn't do 'any' training for it at all, was hard, but not as hard as i expected it to be....

Guys, how about we meet up at 07:45 for a 08:00 start?  We should be back by about 10:30-11:00, and depending on how we get on could always add some more miles.

So, rollcall:-

Abzz
Jay
Tinc
BMJBOY (Maybe)
Soni
8am is a tad early, maybe 8.15 for 8.30 start would be more do-able?
I know it's only 30 mins later, but us medway guys would have to get up rather early to be at leybourne lakes for 7.45 !!

Depends on others thoughts n plans really, I can get up early, just try to avoid proper early weekends :B

Route wise, I'll ride across M2 bridge & follow A228, rather than the (fun but 1hr) off-road route we did from Comet last time.
Don't know if Tinc fancies meeting me at M2 bridge footpath, or if he'll drive there?
Yeh, and think about the Sheppey guy ay?............  Sad
I may very well be up for this... will keep an eye on it and confirm nearer the time.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />