This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ive ridden it!
Whahaayy! - FINALLY I get to go out on the road bike.

Not without issue though!

My new pedals dont seem to be compatible with my current cleats on my shoes(?) - They are simple Wellgo SPD Pedals (New from Wiggle) I will check the model Ive got - They maybe single release and not multi-release - but I thought that was just the cleat which differed and not the pedal?

Anyhoo.... in haste, I stuck flats on, tweaked the headset AGAIN and was off out at 7:30am.

First 2 miles - jesus! - bumpy, uncomfortable, scary, unpleasant....... what have I done!?!?!   :o

Suddenly I have a whole new anger directed at the condition of our roads, the recent snow hasnt helped - potholes and general crud in the roadside made for a real experience of trying to avoid punctures!

A whole list is now being made in my head : Saddle not the right angle, can the bar angle come up a bit? I dont like canti-brakes, what would I look like in lycra? my knee hurts, where should my hands be?......

By the time I woke up, Ive now done about 3 miles - averaging 19mph! - Ive started too fast (for me) and my delusions of going for 20miles are soon fading fast. Its all too easy to pelt along, but I realise this isnt the approach I need right now.

Im now fyling towards the end of the beach, and a road climb awaits - which is interspersed with speed bumps, ruining my rythmn - now at the top, I realise my quick start is making me suffer and Im puffing like Im on 40 a day.  Further climbing to the highest point on the island I create a small loop to bring me back to come down hill and further out.

The roads are now busy, schools are opening, kids in the road, stupid women who cant drive and lorries are now my enemy - luckily I come through unscathed.

I soon find myself in the harbour area on the island, all is quiet apart from the hum of fishing boats and seagulls in the mist - quite pretty, although it stank.

After that, fine blast back, I now have some confidence in the bike, getting out of the saddle, taking corners faster and weaving through yet more double parked idiotic women.

Im literally 300yrs away from my house, and another stupid woman driver pulls out on me - pull out of a junction and looking (and looking, and looking) to her left, but never right and does the full manouvre while still looking left....... Im in control so I aimed at her to teach her a lesson!

So, 12 miles in 54 Mins - not setting the world alight is it - and I started too fast which set me up badly for later - I never learn!

Took me a few miles to get used to the bike, I want to make some tweaks to the setup, might bring the saddle up a bit and angle the seat upwards a notch.

The size is perfect, I sit with my hands on the hoods very well - but I think its something I need to become acustomed to.

I think I need to excercise some restraint in speed too, its VERY easy to hammer it along.

So with the potential of a 27miler on the cards in a week or so, I think its going to hurt me, but its all worthwhile.
Excellent, you will get addicted to the speed, the confidence of riding the bike takes some time, what got me was looking down and seeing a really thin tyre compared to a 2.4 on my old mtb.

I'm off out on mine in a bit for a local blast.
Two things to note

1. potholes are the spawn of the devil on a road bike  :'(

2. the highest point of the island ha ha that must be some mean climb  Tongue
I have literally never been so happy for anyone in my whole life  8)
"Longjon" Wrote:Excellent, you will get addicted to the speed, the confidence of riding the bike takes some time, what got me was looking down and seeing a really thin tyre compared to a 2.4 on my old mtb.

Yeh confidence in corners, flicking it about - not something I have yet - on the mtb I could easily chuck the bike where I like - I found myself "stuck" on a path a one point as a complicated series of traffic lights made getting on the path and using the traffic islands safer - I soon found myself on a path with high kerb - on the MTB, Id chuck myself straight off it and crack on, but now, Im lookiing for a ramp as I dont want to bugger the wheels up!

Going round a 90deg bend at speed with wet tyres shouldnt actually work, but I had no issues - will come to me with time Im sure.

Its so twitchy and light, a normal "MTB move" would make you crash on this bike.
"redwinnie" Wrote:Two things to note

1. potholes are the spawn of the devil on a road bike  :'(

2. the highest point of the island ha ha that must be some mean climb  Tongue

Its still a climb - and coupled with me setting off too hard, and me trying to fly up it still, made it hard enough!  Tongue

One bonus is a saw a yummy mummy with a cracking set of jubblies - I nearly crashed.
"Breezer" Wrote:I have literally never been so happy for anyone in my whole life  8)

Big Grin
Well done Ben. I reckon your arse is going to be sore.
"Blackers" Wrote:Big Grin

No its all fine, although its in the arms more - maybe due to the different ride style and constant juddering/shock of the rigid fork.

Gonna join Ash in some virtual push-up courses I think!  Wink
"Blackers" Wrote:Big Grin

Admit it, you're old enough to remember the old yellow pages advert aren't you?  Wink (google it Steve)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYZyUygW6Y

(Can't get it to embed for some reason)
I cant see the above movie, but I know the exact advert you are on about.

That proves my age.