This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've not posted much lately, but I've been lurking, a chest infection hit me after my Surrey ride over Christmas so I've not ridden a bike yet this year.

I miss the banter on here so I thought I'd stick a post up to see what people have planned for 2010 ?  Anyone planning to ride anywhere new ?

I'm aiming to get to Thetford, Kirroughtree, Innerleithen, Whinlatter and possibly Hamsterley this year in terms of places I've not been before.  I'm also hoping to get back to Afan at least once and ride Friston when it's DRY plus explore a bit more of the Surrey Hills.  Doubtless I'll spend some time at Bedgebury too.

Kirroughtree, Innerleithen and Whinlatter are all going to be part of a cycling holiday to celebrate my 40th birthday, this is an alternative to joining in with the Sketchy mass trip to North Wales.  Shame I cant do both, but I money & time wise, I cant do two long weekends, so I'll try a day trip to Afan instead of going back to North Wales.  Shame as I would really like to ride Coed Y Brenin again, maybe 2011...

So anyone else fancy rambling about where they'd like to ride this year ?  ;D
March - Climb on my bike for the first time since October. Start off with some local rides, and then some night rides.
April - North Wales.
Then some races maybe.
And an old skool paper map and compass adventure with some like minded Sketchyites.
"Blackers" Wrote:March - Climb on my bike for the first time since October. Start off with some local rides, and then some night rides

Why no riding in January and February ?  Dont you like muddy, wrecked trails and numb fingers ?  Big Grin

Now you mention it though, I fancy trying night riding this year.  Hmm  more £££££££££ shelled out... :'(
"dawg08" Wrote:Why no riding in January and February ?  Dont you like muddy, wrecked trails and numb fingers ?  Big Grin

Now you mention it though, I fancy trying night riding this year.  Hmm  more £££££££££ shelled out... :'(

Who the hell wants to ride in January and February. Its too cold and my bike was too expensive to be ruining it in mud. I polish it up and use it as a house ornament usually.  Wink
Night riding is excellent. Best fun ive had for a long while.

Night riding is  
heh you say about friston only when its dry then question someone else riding not wanting to ride in the mud  Wink

That bit of singletrack we found when we did that ride, Leigh and me have since done it the other way round and omfg! even in the slippery mud it was excellent and it carried on for twice as long as well ie continued straight across where we joined it after riding up across that field
"Breezer" Wrote:heh you say about friston only when its dry then question someone else riding not wanting to ride in the mud  Wink

I think you have to be more choosy about where you ride (or less choosy about what you'll put up with) in Jan/Feb.  When we rode up at Surrey on 29 Dec some of the trails were awful due to the mud, but Barry Knows Better was in awesome condition, as were the few trails we sniffed out on Pitch hill.  You wouldnt want to ride at Bedgebury at the moment, but I suspect the trails in Wales are pretty much the same now as they would be in May or September, due to them being better drained and more rocky.

I imagine Friston would just be awful right now after a foot of snow has melted into it, it was still an amazing ride back in November (or was it October?) when we were there and it was fairly muddy, but I think riding it in July after a two week heatwave would be a real revellation.  I bet it's even more scenic with a full set of summer foliage too, though the carpet of autumn leaves we rode through was pretty.

Which trail do you mean when you say you rode it in the opposite direction ?  Do you mean the one at the top of Snap Hill ?  I'm planning on dragging a couple of Surrey based mates down to Friston when its dry, there are trails there which, as you say, are bloody awesome.

I'm doing a skills course this spring too, so hopefully by the time I hit Friston in the summer, I wont be bottling those bombholes  Tongue
Its fine when its muddy, you just slide around more. Remember we stopped for a break on that big grass hill which we then walked up, horses run along it for practise etc then we went back into the woods and turned right into some new singletrack up to that bombhole you mentioned. Well we did that the other way round so it was all downhill plus it carried on for almost another mile and was just excellent, constant 2 wheel drifts

Bedgebury was fine last time I went, singletrack ok just with puddles and the fireroads good drifting practise
"Breezer" Wrote:Remember we stopped for a break on that big grass hill which we then walked up,

I can remember 2 grass hills.  One fairly near the end of the ride which I got to the top of about 20 mins behind you guys.  We saw a bloke in absolutely spotless riding gear pushing a pristine bike.  I think that led out through a car park and onto a road before ducking into some woodlands.

The other grassy hill I remember was just after a nasty chalky climb, I think that's the one you mean.  I got fairly disorientated on that ride, I suspect if I actually went back there I would pick up on much of it and find my way.  At least that's what I hope cause I'm aiming to go back there a couple of times this year : )
I mean the one after the rather splendid fun chalky rooty climb Wink
"Breezer" Wrote:I mean the one after the rather splendid fun chalky rooty climb Wink

"fun"  "climb"

I can enjoy climbs during a 10km ride taken at my own pace, but not during a 20 mile ride where I'm trying to keep up with riders fitter and more skillful than myself...