This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nokia map update, now free turn by turn navigation
I don't know how many of you have nokia phones but thought it was worth mentioning that they have, in the last couple of days, updated their Nokia Maps programme.

Not only has the software been updated to look more like a standard sat nav, with traffic, points of intrest, lonely planet guides but the biggest diffrence is that now the turn by turn navigation is FREE. This is for both car and walking (read biking).

It is a free download from the nokia ovi website.

I always use the walking guide on my bike in the summer, for road riding mainly, turn by turn directions are really useful when riding to places that you don't know. I have a cheap bike mount from ebay and works perfectly.

EDIT : forgot to mention, as long as you download the map from nokia website, it's global. Drive any country you want.

Apple, google over to you to follow suit.
I've used this before, and tried to find a hack for it too, it was bloody good.

The one downside is that when you lose signal you are suddenly lost... Generally when i need a sat nav it's cause i am driving in the middle of nowhere, or because i am biking in the woods and there is no signal...

But that said it was a great bit of kit, thanks for the heads up and i will definitely download it fella!

Cheers

Rou
Probably a silly question - but do i need a GPS enabled phone for this?

I only ask as my phone is not GPS enabled but it can pinpoint my location with relative accuracy.  I know Breezer has a blutooth GPS for his bike mapping.  Are these cheap?

Is the software here for navigation or route tracking?

Basically I'd like to be able to make those nice maps like you guys with the Garmins etc do.  I have a Nokia E63 if thats any help...
To quote the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8472165.stm

That has links to more computer literate websites down the side.

You prob would need a GPS enabled phone looking at the list.

I have a free (on contract nokia 5800) and I have found a freebie download for it that logs files and saves them as GPX. Thats all I use for recording my routes. Can't honestly say I have been anywhere complicated enough to need a route to follow yet (off road anyway).
what maps versoin do you have?? i have 3.01 and it still wants to charge me for the directions part?? ANy help would be great.
Theres just been a radio Ad for this on Talksport - seems like its a major thing for Nokia?

Im an iPhone user, and any satnav for it is over £40 - but googlemaps works OK on it.

Ive heard good things about the Nokia though.
3.3 it came out yesterday for my phone (5800) and a few others and coming for the rest over the next couple of weeks.

"The initial list of compatible Nokia devices includes: the Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia 5230, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6730 classic and Nokia X6.

Further devices will follow over the next few weeks and months, following testing and customisation. (In particular, the Nokia N97 isn't supported because the Maps 3.3 installer needs (in the order of) 20MB free disk space on C: and this would present problems for many users - a workaround is apparently coming in a week or so, possibly in the form of building Maps 3.3 into the firmware itself, eliminating the need for a separate download)"
"redwinnie" Wrote:3.3 it came out yesterday for my phone (5800) and a few others and coming for the rest over the next couple of weeks.

"The initial list of compatible Nokia devices includes: the Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia 5230, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6730 classic and Nokia X6.

Further devices will follow over the next few weeks and months, following testing and customisation. (In particular, the Nokia N97 isn't supported because the Maps 3.3 installer needs (in the order of) 20MB free disk space on C: and this would present problems for many users - a workaround is apparently coming in a week or so, possibly in the form of building Maps 3.3 into the firmware itself, eliminating the need for a separate download)"

Good because i have a N97. Thanks for the info.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:Good because i have a N97. Thanks for the info.

Is it any good? I want one of them when my contract is up. My wife has an iphone and I find that bloody awful to use.
i like it, but i would get the N97 mini if i was you now.