This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howletts Zoo Path
The path that runs straight thru the middle of the zoo,known as the elephant bridge footpath,up for diversion again.A couple of years ago Howletts tried to get it moved but were up against ramblers and locals so it did'nt happen.Well its up for discussion again on 27th Jan with all parties invited.If you,ve never ridden this you can see the elephants because you ride thru there enclosure then over two bridges.A free visit to the zoo.You also get a free visit at Port Lympne as well as there's a bridleway right thru the middle.
Is thera any decent riding around there ? Port Lympne is only a 30 minute cycle from me !
only if you like gorilla poo being chucked at you!
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:only if you like gorilla poo being chucked at you!

Sounds like fun...never been chased by zoo animals on my bike, a few animals mind you.... Wink
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Is thera any decent riding around there ? Port Lympne is only a 30 minute cycle from me !

I've ridden past on numerous BMJBOY trail rides, it's on the shortest route from here to Hythe, great summer riding.
If you go past Port Lympne on the road, go down the hill to the canal at the bottom then turn right back towards Ashford and the is a path that run alongside of the canal. It obviously very flat and peddly, however it does twist and turn and goes through some small bomb hole type things. I beleive there is a Kent Trails ride that they do wich may take the path in? ( opps am I allowed to say that  Tongue ) but if your bored one day check it out. God knows where it end though?
"MudMonkey" Wrote:I've ridden past on numerous BMJBOY trail rides, it's on the shortest route from here to Hythe, great summer riding.

It's my route to work when I run or cycle in, not the soothest road?
Not smooth at all.

Been there... The canal trail got unrideable at a bridge/lock/barrier thing, there's a footpath to the right heading back up hill which I obviously didn't ride on... but maps suggest the trail continues along the canal... something I need to explore. Been the other way to Hythe along the canal, pleasant but too many ramblers.
That would be a shame if they do allow it to be diverted, I had no idea that it went through the middle of the elephant enclosure and it was awesome to look up to see one through the fence!

I was a little scared though when a lion make some horrendous noise and flintlock told me it was the lions eating mountainbikers Big Grin
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Is thera any decent riding around there ? Port Lympne is only a 30 minute cycle from me !

lots of very good riding around Hythe and port Lympne. The Activ guys ride there most of the year. The singletrack at the bottom of port Lympne is very good indeed (not the bridleway 10yard away from it that is not rideable!). Usually end up having a good race/chase along the singletrack. Lots of good trails has well at the back of Hythe around Brockenhill park